Sunday, May 27, 2012

Kind of Creepy

The other day when cleaning out our hermit crab tank we found out that one of the ones we had gotten was dead.  Sometimes that happens. 

So, we couldn't leave Grandma Jenny alone.  We needed to get her a new playmate.

The one we chose was a decent sized little guy and was so friendly.  Sideways Bill had on a shell that was kind of funny as it was sideways when he walked around.  We thought it was fun to watch.

Well, today we caught Sideways Bill naked!



I could hear scratching and looked over to see him digging around.  It was kind of creepy looking.  He looked like a spider and I hate spiders.  They give me shivers.

I could see the white part behind him and thought it was his funny little sideways shell until he started digging his way out...

...then I figured out it was that he was missing a shell!



I gathered my boys and we all watched with fascination (and a little bit of grossed out on my part...because it is really creepy gross) as he crawled over to another slightly larger shell and put it on!

Gross but oh so fascinating!


Seriously they are amazing creatures. 

I am so excited that we have had this chance to study and observe them. 

My boys have looked up many things on these little creatures and watched a few videos.  We are now almost hermit crab experts!

Cheers

3 comments:

Lynn said...

LOL! I can totally relate to your creepiness, yet fascination with those things.

One of Cami's hermit crabs lost it's shell and picked up a bigger one....then a few days later decided he wanted his old one back. So funny.

AllisonK said...

You are a good mom! Seriously this is yucky and my boys would LOVE it!

Abby said...

How cool that you happened to be there at the right time to watch him switch shells! What an amazing experience for your boys!