Friday, August 9, 2013

Making a Poultice

Once upon a time I was a normal kind of girl.

I would get sick, or get hurt and I would find something that a Dr. could do for me first, then go the herbal rout second.

Now it is so far past that.

I almost always go the herbal rout and skip the Dr. because it works so well for me to do stuff herbally.

So, this year I learned how to do something that I am sure all of you know how to do, but in case you don't, I thought I would share.

I made my very first poultice!!

My son came home from camp with a pretty good sized sprain.  He gets them often, but always gets some steroid cream from the Dr.  This does nothing for him, so I thought I would look into a herbal way of doing things.

I happened to pick a crap-load of Comfrey that day.


And I had an old sheet on hand to rip into long strips.  (about 4' long, 6" wide)


Take some fresh herbs (I used comfrey for the healing of swelling, but you can use whatever herbs you need for yours) and add them to your blender with just enough water to blend.


Remove from the blender and add flour to make a paste.


It will stand up on the fork when it is done.


Pile about a burger sized portion on one end of your strip.


Wrap end over end until it is all wrapped up and wrap in wax paper.


Store in plastic bags in your fridge for short term storage, freezer for up to a year.


To use, remove from wrap.  You can thaw and heat, or use cold.  Unwrap, and place the "burger" where you need it.  Wrap the remaining fabric around the limb to secure.  Keep on for about 6 hours.  Remove and repeat as needed.  My son needed 6 days of once a night application.  I put it on just before bed and right as he woke up.  The pain was gone after 2 days, the swelling after 4.  I did it an addition 2 days just to make sure.

I made about 10 of these this time, but next time am making more.  For some reason sprains and strains are common around here!  The next batch I make will also have mallow in them because I also have a crapload of that!

Cheers

2 comments:

Carrie said...

That is so awesome. It hasn't happened for a while (knock on wood..) but when Aaron sprains his ankle it swells so bad and he ends up with black and blues all the way up his ankle into his calf. Last time he had to go to the doctor and they thought for sure it was broken. It wasn't and they gave him pain meds. I am going to have to try this instead, because the dr's jut mask the pain. Do you think you can buy comfrey? It doesn't look like anything I have seen growing in the South.

Cassi :) said...

Too Cool!! Btw, do you just wash the sheet so you can reuse it? Surely the herbs don't ruin it, stain it maybe, but not ruin, right?