Saturday, February 9, 2013

On The Seedy Side

Brain Dump time again...you have been warned!  :)

  • When reading posts the other day, (I really, really, really love google reader.) I came across a totally awesome idea.


I like seeds.  

Pretty much all seeds.  

I am always looking for new and yummy ways to use them in my cooking and this is a great way.


She has a shaker filled with seeds of all kinds.  She shakes it on all sorts of things.

I figured I would make some and shake some on our pancakes this morning and they were soooo yum!  I am keeping it around for more shaking fun.  (and just so you know, I DO know you need to crack the flax to get the nutrition from them.  I just like the crunch they add so I didn't)



  • I made some chicken breasts the other night.  I had some leftover rice, bacon and chicken so I slapped it all in my frying pan with onions, mushrooms and some coconut oil.  MAN was it ever tasty wrapped in a tortilla!  We gobbled it down so quick.


Fridge is good!


  • Remember the other day when I mentioned DH and I spent date night in the barn?  


Here is what we did:




There are 3 separate enclosures that we keep different fowl in.  I still need to build a roost of some sort for my chickens, but for now, they are all quite happy in their homes.

It used to look like this side of the barn:


This side will eventually have a goat enclosure where you see the boards.  We are going to re-enforce them and add a couple more so our goats will have a pen.

I am excited though, our barn is totally starting to look like a barn!

Speaking of barns...


  • We added a rooster the other day.  He was separated from his girls.  He escaped from his box inside the barn, outside of their enclosure.  He heard them clucking and flew over the 5' fence to get into them!  He was so thrilled he vented on each one of the girls and cock-a-doodle-doo'ed about 700 times.  He keeps them happy and protected though and it is so awesome to see how much he loves his little ladies.


They all seem so happy together.  (and chickens mate WAAAY less violently than a duck...let me tell you!  Birds and the bees take on a whole new meaning now!)

And speaking of chickens (because I was...)

  • I called every store in the surrounding towns that sold produce.  


It is apparently against Canadian Food Standards to sell garbage produce.  

Who knew?!

I found two tiny stores that will sell me "trims" of the veggies that normally they will throw away, but they will charge me.


I am still trying to decide if it is worth the $2 that they charge me to get this much (plus another half bag) of trims.  I am not so sure it is.  The chickens and dirty ducks like it lots, but I can feed them layer rations and the gobble that as well, so I am not sold on the cost of this green stuff... 

I can hardly wait for my garden!  

Those chickens are going to eat all my garbage and be so happy!

  • I went to the temple with some women from my branch yesterday.


I was so excited to go, but as I looked at each of them, I realized how crazy blessed I am.  I have made some wonderful new friends in such a short time here.  

Going to the temple is a great place for me to realize my blessing apparently.  

We have had such fun getting to know people here and gaining new friends and knowledge.  I wish each and every one of you (who I know in real life and virtually) could come be my neighbour.  Wouldn't we have fun?!

Cheers

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I love the title! haha

I love love love your barn! It looks so good! Great work!

Speaking of chickens I didn't realize ducks mated violently. Good to know so I can leave! haha

I am grateful you have made good friends. They will be blessed to have you live there!

Mandy said...

I like reading about your adventures, I am glad you came back to blogging.