And the reason why I am doing it,
Is very clear to me.
Am I the only one that remembers when that song from the Children's song book went like that instead of "Family History"?!
Anyway, my story...
I was at the temple on Saturday doing temple work with my branch. It was our "Branch Day in Heaven". For those who don't have one of those, it is where the whole ward/branch goes to the temple and does work for the dead. The littles stay at the church building and are looked after while the adults are spending the day in the temple.
This time a man in our branch had a whole pile of names (just over 150) for us to do right from the start.
I was one of five women that came at the start so I had the opportunity to be baptized for over 20 of the women's names. Then I went on to Confirmations and then Initiatory.
I have always loved each step of the temple ordinances but Initiatory has always held a special place in my heart. I love the blessings you receive at this step. I also love being reminded about these special blessings.
This time around I was only able to take 5 names through because I was running short on time. I finished two and was on my third.
As I sat there listening to the blessings of this sister I realized this was one of the sisters that was in the concentration camps in Germany (some were, some weren't).
I had this overwhelming feeling that this sister was right there listening with me.
She was so very grateful that she had this chance to gain these blessings.
As I listened to the things that she was blessed with, I realized that:
- even though I sometimes think that I should have gotten a fabulous body that is svelte and beautiful...I have a body that works and does what it is supposed to do.
- I may not have had all the children that I wanted to have, or planned to have...but I have 3 beautiful, amazing young men who are daily becoming wonderful men.
- my joints may swell, I may be in pain much of the day, and I don't move as fast or as well as I did when I was a teen...but I move. I can do my daily things, I can hike, walk and join my children in admiring this beautiful earth and all the amazing creations that our Heavenly Father has given to us.
Sometimes I wonder if I don't come away more aware and blessed than those I do the work for. I surely am thankful for the opportunity to live so close to a temple and attend so very often. I missed it.
Cheers
2 comments:
What an amazing experience! I am so glad you live close, what a blessing!
thank you for sharing your thoughts about this wonderful blessing! :)
my favourite temple experiences (other than my own personal ordinances) have been where I have felt the sister I'm proxy for there with me . . . cheering me on as it were!:)
Post a Comment