Thursday, March 29, 2012

Teaching English

One of the things I struggle with in Homeschooling is coming up with really good ideas.

I pin stuff like crazy, and use some of the ideas, but sometimes there isn't anything out there that I like or can use with the type of learners I have.

My baby is in Grade One.  He is just learning how to read and loves it.  He HATES printing though. 

Just in case you have one like that, (I really hope I am not the only one!) I thought I would show you something that we are doing that he enjoys.

First, I write him a silly little story using some of the words he has practiced.  (I use the Dolche Sight Words up to Grade Two right now)


Then he reads his silly story to me, and copy's it out below each line.

After much grunting and groaning, and singing of songs, he finally finishes and grabs a piece of paper.  We use blank paper for this.  We divide it into 4 sections on each side and write the little "action" segments in each one.  (eg.  "OK I am going to make some red eggs" goes in one section)


Then he draws me a picture of the little bit of action that is on the section.


This has been great for learning the progress of things happening, thinking of how things could be represented in picture, and encouraging him to write.  It makes for a fun little activity as a "reward" to his dreaded printing!

Cheers

1 comment:

Holly said...

Sounds like fun! I'll have to start thinking about stuff like that for next year.