Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kitchen "Arts"

As a Mom to boys, sometimes I forget that they need to learn the "girly" skills in life.  This generally includes the kitchen domain.   For several years I have been working with my two oldest in the kitchen trying to get the skills into them that they will need as men.  One day my youngest asked me, "Mom, when is it MY turn to help you in the kitchen?"  Talk about out of mouths of babes!

We have been working in the kitchen together this year as part of his kindergarten. 

My dear son told me that HE should show you how to make something in the kitchen!  So, demonstrating how a 5 year old can totally make some yummy stuff in the kitchen, here is my son. 

Fruity Oat Bars


First you need to pre-heat your oven to 400F. 

Get out your blender.  Place one full cup of dried apricots and 2 Tbsp water into it.  Blend until the apricots are smooth.  Set aside.


In a bowl mix 2 1/3Cups of flour with 1 Cup Oats and 1/2 tsp Salt.  Set aside.


With parental supervision, get out a medium saucepan.  Place 3/4 C Unsalted butter (or hard margarine), 3/4 C Brown Sugar and 2 Tbsp corn syrup into it.  Melt over medium heat, stirring once in a while.


Add to your dry flour mixture and mix it all up.  (my son got tired of stirring after a while and I had to finish this step for him)


Press half of your mixture into a 7 inch square pan.


Smooth your fruit over top, and top with the remaining oat/flour mixture.  My son told me we were making "sandwiches" in a pan!


Bake for 20-25 min until nicely golden on the top.  Cut into squares.  (we found that 16 was about perfect serving size)


Let cool and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor!

We think it would also be yummy with other fruit like strawberries, apples, blueberries and any other dried fruit you enjoy.

These were super fun for my son to make and he could do almost the whole thing by himself, making him feel pretty efficient in the kitchen.

Have fun!

Cheers

5 comments:

SHARM said...

Hi I was visiting you from STG I love your post about DH and very funny... love to give a try to fruity oatmeal bars...

Cassi :) said...

Those look really good! Love mini chefs!

Lynn said...

Yum!!! They look so good. Love that you are teaching your boys around their way around the kitchen. They are going to need that skill someday on their own. As I am sure you know this. ; D

Jocelyn said...

I never let my boys in the kitchen. Too afraid of the mess. I may just have to start. Nice and simple recipe. Could I use my food processor instead of blender?

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Looks so great!!!