Thursday, September 9, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

Ok.  The last tradition I am going to post about is cake.  Most of my traditions center around food!  :)  Every year I let my kids pick a cake they want for their birthday.  I tell them that it is my special gift to them for their birthday.  Right now it is just a fun thing that they look forward to, but maybe later in life they might see it as something special.  (at least I hope so)  When I first started most of my cakes were from a pan...

While that was a great start...some get pretty elaborate over the years.  If I am lucky, my boys pick one that is easy and only takes me a couple hours!  :)  I thought it might be fun to show you a few of my favorites over the years.  (some I am sure you have seen if you have read my blog for a while, sorry)

Spaghetti and Meatballs...and Aliens

Alligator and Pizza
(funny story:  One kid wouldn't eat the "Pizza" because he was allergic to cheese...no matter how many times I told him it was icing, not cheese!)


Dragon

I love to make cakes and have made them for many people over the years, but my very favorite people to make them for are my family!

Cheers

9 comments:

Krystal G said...

You're cakes are amazing. You are so talented and I don't have the slightest clue how you do it. Have you ever done a wedding cake? Would you be interested in doing a wedding cake for my sister? If you did, how much would that cost? Keep up the cake making!

Montserrat said...

Awesome cakes! I decorate cakes for my children's birthdays too. Only we have an abundance of princess castles, purses, lady bugs, and flowers for some reason....

Hanley Family said...

Beautiful cakes! You should include them in FishMama's cake link roundups when she does them! (Life as Mom)

We do special cakes for birthdays, too, but I'm not so creative. Mostly it's a regular old cake with minimal decorating, but special toys on them.

The kids still love them!

Jocelyn said...

Oh but you should tell people how AMAZING they taste too!

The are such amazing works of art

Lynn said...

WOW. Awesome cakes! How nice that you have each one documented too. That is a lot of work just to be eaten up in minutes. ; D

Judi said...

Same tradition in our house too - I'm not sure mine are quite as elaborate! You do a great job!

Cassi :) said...

Love the cheese kid story! And love the meatballs!!

Michaela Stephens said...

I have to say that my favorite here is the alien cupcakes, simply because they are so quirky. They almost look like an ice cream cone instead of cake!

Amy said...

Too funny about the cheese! I love the dragon and alligator the most (out of the pics you posted), but I know you've done so many more great ones too.
I'd love to make Brett a Thomas the tank engine cake this year, we'll see how ambitious I feel after baby haha.