Sunday, March 3, 2013

I'm Not 16 Anymore...

2006
As I sat in Sacrament meeting this morning, I looked down my row.  I saw each one of my boys and realized they were each reaching a pretty major (church) milestone this year.

My baby turns 8 and gets baptized.

My middle son turns 12 and receives the priesthood.

My oldest turns 14 and is ordained to the office of a teacher.

All pretty big things in a boys life, and their parents life.  How can this be when I feel like I am still 16 in some ways?!

Then as I reflected back to the time when I actually was that age, I realized that although my basic testimony still is the same:

I know I am a daughter of God.
He loves me.
He wants me to be happy.
I know that if I pray, I will be granted audience with Him.  But only if I pray.
I need to make that choice and effort.
I know that the Holy Ghost will help me and identify to me the most correct choice in my life.
I also know that my family can be together forever, if we but live worthy of that blessing.
I know that I will see those who have gone on before, and that when I return to heaven, it will be a glorious reunion.
I know that I am blessed with knowledge.  Each thing I learn can be taken back with me.

Things that are basic in so many ways, but I know that I have also gained so much more in my understanding of these basic principles.

I have tested those principles and used them often.  I have also expanded my knowledge in so many ways.

I am so very thankful I am not 16 anymore!  :)  As I look at my life, and although my children make me feel old, I am so grateful for the opportunities and knowledge I have acquired as I have grown.  What a great and glorious blessing!

What a blessing it is to be alive!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I agree . . . while my 16 year old self wasn't a bad kid, my 37 year old self has a far better relationship with her Father in Heaven! :)

Carrie said...

I know just how you are feeling. Jake also receives the Priesthood this year...Time flies!