Ok. That was a cheesy title, but the duck eggs really are enormous! :)
The other day I walked into my chicken coop to give them some greens and saw this chicken sitting in a new hollow. I knew it was a bit tall for my littler egg pickers, so I chased her off and checked inside.
JACKPOT!!
There were over a dozen eggs in there that I could see just without reaching inside to check. I had thought that my chickens had stopped laying for about a week. I thought they had gone through shock from moving homes (which they are supposed to do) and thought that was why I wasn't getting eggs.
I called my friend who knows everything about birds (or so it seems!) and she told me what to watch for if that hen was broody.
Turns out she wasn't. So I had the boys go out and steal all those eggs.
After, they brought in 17 eggs! I checked them out. We did the float test and all of them passed.
Holy Crap I had a lot of eggs in my fridge then.
I already had a dozen and a half in there...and add another 17, that adds up to more than I can use fast!
Enter my brilliant brother. He mentioned to me when I first got my chickens that it would be awesome if I pickled some. I am not a big pickle fan, but DH also seconded that nomination.
I thought of it today when I was trying to figure out what to do with all these eggs.
So, all but 2 eggs got pickled today. Aren't they perty?!
Here is a recipe if you want to make some of your own:
Pickled Eggs
1 Large jar or 3-4 quart sized ones
30 (or so) Hard boiled eggs - peeled
3 Onions
1/2 C (or more) of Pickling Spice
2 Tbsp Crushed Chili Flakes (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)
1 Tbsp Pickling (or Kosher) Salt
1/4 C Brown Sugar
2 C Cider Vinegar
1 C White Vinegar
Boil your brine. Pickling spice, chili flakes, salt, sugar, and vinegars. Stir to dissolve.
While it is coming to a boil, cut your onions into rounds.
Place some onions in the bottom of each jar. Place a layer of eggs and repeat until all eggs and onions are used.
Pour your brine over your eggs and onions. Run a wooden spoon down the sides to ensure spice in all layers.
Store in refrigerator These are ready to eat after one day, but to have super pickley (that is a word I just made up!) eggs and onions, keep for at least a week if you can handle it before dipping in.
These make amazing egg salad, super good to eat like they are (if you like that sort of thing!), awesome topping noodles, etc. A great way to preserve eggs if you have an over abundance!
Cheers


3 comments:
We are at the library today so I get to use the internet 2 days in a row!!! I love the title of this post :). I have never had pickled eggs but the look and sound so good! Congrats on the jackpot load of eggs.
yummo! I love pickled eggs. Way to use them up.
Thanks for the recipe!
Post a Comment