Friday, November 16, 2012

Food Storage Friday - Pineapple Tamales

Dh and I had our new friends over last weekend for a tamale feast.  I told you I had made many, and we wanted to share.  (and see if others liked them too, plus their son had helped and I promised him I would feed them to him!)

I made some simple sauces for each one and they were a hit!

Carmel nut for the chocolate ones, simple mushroom sauce for my meat and potatoes one, and a pineapple sauce for these totally yummy pineapple ones I am going to share with you.


Pineapple Tamales

Soak about 25 Corn Husks in HOT water for about 25 min as you make the ingredients.

For the dough, in a bowl combine:

4 C Masa
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 C Flour
2 C Brown Sugar
2 C Butter (I used Crisco because that is what I was taught traditionally)
2 C Fruit Juice (I used the juice that I drained from the Pineapple for the filling plus water to equal 2 C)

Mix all together well to form a dough similar to cookie dough.

For the filling, in a saucepan combine:

1 Can Crushed Pineapple, drained
1/2 C Water
3 Tbsp Flour
1/2 C Sugar

Bring to a boil over med heat and stir until just boiling and thickened.  Remove from heat.

Assemble tamales (small tutorial here if you need one) and steam for at least 1 hour.

Serve and enjoy!  (we sure did)
Cheers

1 comment:

Holly said...

Sounds fun! You are ambitious to spend the time it takes to make tamales. Wow! I haven't ever made any, but I've had some that were good. Maybe someday...