By Angie Sage
One dark and wintry night, a woman goes into labor. When her baby is born dead, her husband finds a baby in the snow at the same time. The family raises her as their own but always feels as if they are missing that baby that died. He was a seventh son of a seventh son. Septimus is deeply missed.
I have only read two of the six so far available, but am hooked. It is a great series.
My second son (who was previously a very reluctant reader) has been devouring these books! He has loved every single word and flies through them. That right there has me picking up another each time I make it to the book store! (and at only $10 for the paperback...it is a rather inexpensive book to buy)
There is a slightly different take on magic, and the words are spelled a little different also. I am enjoying the fact that they are very explicit about the difference between good and evil. They mention several times in each book how very damaging and soul stealing even the tiniest foray into the dark side could be and to stay very far away from such things. I love the parallels between our lives and the things in our lives that can be drawn here.
I think that with the smaller words, and the non stop action in these books, it would captivate even the younger readers, so I am going to go with about Grade 3 (if they are strong readers) and up. I also think that both girls and boys would enjoy this series. There are strong leads in both sexes so there is someone to relate to for both.
I have seen that they are compared to an easier read than Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, so if you enjoyed these two series, and want something similar, this might be a good one to try. (not having read HP and not finished LOTR yet, I am not a good judge, this is just what "they" say.)
And, if you like your kids to explore the online sites of games and maps and etc, the website is here.
Cheers

4 comments:
My kids have enjoyed the Septimus Heap series. I haven't read them yet, so maybe I should remedy that. I'm glad they get good recommendations from teachers, and that I can trust the teachers to give good recommendations.
Sounds like a series Jake (and I!) will love! Thanks for the info.
*Just in case you have already taken me off your blog list...I decided to go private instead of closing down...I am pitiful I know! Private means documenting the memories with: No pressure from anyone-including myself...I posted how and why I came to this conclusion. And if you happen to read it than just know you fall into the "met through blogging and feel like I have known forever so you will automatically be getting an invite" category. :)
I forgot to tell you that I read the Giver and it is so good. A very interesting read...I am thankful for free agency!
Don't hate me...but I am giving you some homework if you so choose to accept. My distressing blog got nominated for a Liebster award and I get to pass on prestige to you. :) Go to this blog post:
http://mjsomethingoutofnothing.blogspot.com/2012/09/ive-been-nominated.html
to find out what in the world I am talking about. I can't sleep so I figured I would pass on the fun! :)
Post a Comment