Friday, August 10, 2012

Food Storage Friday - Hot Summer Round Up...

It's hot.

Seriously hot here.

It's so hot our sky looks like it is burning most nights!

So I have been trying to preserve and store the harvest in new and different ways.  I don't want to stick my canner on the stove because it will just heat up my house further, and I don't want to do any of the usual things because man, it's hot!  (do you get the picture yet?  Do I need to complain further?  :D)

So, on the odd day I do get to can, I do it quick, but on the others....here is what I am doing instead:

  • Drying herbs so I can make this lovely little iced number
  • I really want to follow these directions to capturing and making my own wild yeast.  You have to scroll for a bit to get to that part.
  • This instant refried bean mix looks interesting.  I may just have to add a few jars to my shelves.
  • This instant gravy also looks good.
  • Making falafels has always been something I want to do, and they are relatively no heat to make (aside from the pan heating).  These little babies are made right from stuff you probably already have in your pantry.  How awesome would it be to make some mixes up like the refried bean mix above for falafels?!
  • I have loads of dry veggies, this sounds like an excellent idea to do with them.
  • And...because sometimes you don't want dry herbs...I have done this with quite a few of mine.  I have also experimented with different types of oil to see which one I like more for next year.
How about you?  How do you preserve and still keep your cool?! 

Cheers

3 comments:

Holly said...

I put up the camp stove in my garage or on the back patio and keep the heat out there. I canned beans the other day and other than just checking on it now and then I didn't have to be out there with it in the heat. Yay! It's at least 110 degrees here if not more. Bleh.
Hmmm...I never have tried grinding beans into a powder and then just quickly rehydrating that. Does that really work well and taste good? My canned beans with seasonings are easy to open up and mash for refried beans, but it does use up energy, take up shelf space, etc. I need to learn more about grinding beans I guess!

Abby said...

It's no fair showing lists of yummy things to make when I'm not at home and to sick to store them. :)

I think I want to make up some of the refried bean mix before baby comes, that would make burritos a super fast dinner or snack.

Jocelyn said...

Oh man, I have 8 more months until I can have a falafel! They look so good.