Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Fun Reading Chart

Last year I saw a really cute little "bingo" type reading chart on a friend's blog.  She always has amazing ideas and I love her virtual space. (if you click on the bingo link she also has a great list of books) 

My boys did the reading chart and were all pleased with the new books they discovered.

This year as I was sort of loosely planning what we were going to do this summer, I asked my boys what they enjoyed most last year.  Of course they mentioned our Summer Fun Chart (which seems to look a little different each year!) and then they surprised me and said the summer reading chart.  Then they surprised me further and asked for another only with MORE books on it!  Knock me over with a feather!

This year I thought I would share with you what we are doing for our chart.  (and here is the chart just for you if you want it for your kids, just click on it for a bigger version)


There are 50 different words or phrases on this chart. 

The deal here is that they must cross off the ones they read.  For example, if they read a book like "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan, there are a few things they could cross off.  Pyramids, A Boy Hero, A Girl Hero, Action/Adventure, just to name a few.  The trick is that they have to cross it off on their own.  They can not ask me what I think the book is about.

They must eventually cross off all 50. 

I am letting them do this from Mid-June until the end of September.  Then I will let them pick a large prize if all three boys complete their charts.  Last year they were trying to earn a trampoline but one of them didn't finish his.  I extended the deadline and made it so they could cross off multiples for each book.  Hopefully they can all complete their charts.

I hope your kids enjoy it.  I tried to make it friendly for both girls and boys and to make it all age friendly so your elementary and your high school children could all use it.  (of course rules could be changed for each age group as well)

Rules could change for your family too.  If you want to have the complete 20 or something, or choose to have all the blue colored words...the choices are endless.  You don't have to reward your kids either.  Make it work for you.

Please let me know if your children enjoy it.  I would love your feedback.

Cheers

Update...Black and White Version is here

4 comments:

SHalsted said...

Too bad my kids cant read! But I seriously love this. I wouldnt even mind doing one for myself :-) I see you used some of the examples that I gave you! I feel so special!
Love you

Holly said...

I'm sure I could use this idea in a few years when my kids read better.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering if you have a list of books to go with the chart or is it the same list as in your friends blog?
I LOVE your blog!
Thanks so much for putting the time and effort into it!
Connie
cshurtz@shaw.ca

Amy Bateman said...

My teenage girls decided that "Princess Bride" would be a good book. There's a whole list of possibilities to cross off. I love this idea, especially for my older elementary kids. Thanks for sharing!