Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Camp - Ice Excavation

About 10 years ago I met Amber.  She and her hubby Evan lived below us when they were first married.  We used to joke that living under us was effective birth control!  Fast forward a few years and Amber has become a good friend to me.  When I asked her if she wanted to do a post for me she was excited (I know you must have been Amber!) and knew just what she wanted to do with her kids. 

I first found this idea on pinterest and I knew my kids would love it!! I was right, they loved it and wanted to do more but I had only made two. Next time I will have to make more!! This is such an easy to prepare activity that will give your kids a lot of enjoyment.

Step 1: Gather small plastic toys. I used animals and bugs.


Step 2: Get a container to put your toys and water in. I used an ice cream container that was going in my recycling anyways. I was glad I used this because I just ripped it apart to get my ice chunk out. You can really use any container, like a small bowl, muffin tins, an ice cube tray or a Tupperware container.


Step 3: Place your animals in the container and pour the water over the toys. If you use a lot of water your kids will be able enjoy this project for a long time because it will take them awhile to get the toys out. If they are smaller and have a shorter attention span, pour a small amount of water over the toys so they can get the toys faster!!


Step 4:  Place your containers in the freezer until the water is completely frozen.


Step 5: Remove your containers from the freezer and let sit for about 5 minutes. Remove your ice block.


Step 6: I put all the supplies they would need to excavate their animals on a cookie sheet and carried it outside. They were so excited.


At first we started with the plastic hammers but they weren’t getting the job done fast enough. I had to bring out the real hammers. My kids especially loved that!!



The cookie trays got in the way so we ended up putting the ice on the grass or on the cement.




Clean up was easy. The ice melted on its own and I just gave the toys and tools a quick rinse in the sink. I totally recommend this activity. My kids loved it and ask me everyday if we can do it again. Have fun!!

I am sorry, I just can't get over the cuteness of her son in his little hat!  He is in my nursery and is such a hoot!  Amber has more recipes and ideas on her blog here. 

Cheers

2 comments:

Holly said...

I've seen this one before and I really need to do that for my kids. Sounds fun!

Amy Bateman said...

My kids would love this. I'll have to try it soon. :)