By Rick Riordan
Carter Kane is in England with his Dad. While in England they are picking up Carter's sister. They are siblings but live apart. When Carter's Dad is caught in an explosion while examining the Rosetta Stone, the siblings are left to fend for themselves in learning about their heritage and their magic.
When my second son was reading this series, I was checking around to find my review. Imagine my surprise when I could not find it! I read the series starting as the first book came out! So here it is, to make up for my lack of one before!
Much like Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson" series, this one is also loosely based in history. Instead of Greek/Roman history though, this one is Egyptian. There are several God's and Goddesses introduced in this book as well.
So far this series has three books in it.
I really enjoyed the series so far. I enjoy reading a rollicking adventure while learning a little about the history of Ancient Egypt and the things that they believed in.
There are a couple things about the book that you should know though. Sadie, being from England, uses English slang, some even being swearing in England. Also, like the Percy Jackson series, some of the people use the term Gods when talking and using it as a slang/swear. If alternate swearing is something you avoid, avoid this series.
Magic is used extensively through the book. It is a presence. If you avoid magic books, again, it is there.
So far myself, my hubby and my second son have all read this book series and we have all enjoyed it (some more than others) so I think that the appeal for all ages (starting at about Grade Four or so) is there. I also think that both girls and boys would like it. The two main characters, Sadie and Carter, each take a chapter. You have both boys and girls perspective and the banter/sibling rivalry is quite amusing as well.
Cheers

3 comments:
Jake is on the 3rd book right now and LOVES them. I promised I would read them too so I am adding them to the top of my long lists of books to read. :)
We just got the third book. Halle and I have both loved this series. I really enjoy his books!
I just finished reading the third book myself, it's a fun series. I love that Rick Riordan's books kick off interests in history in my children (they've read/listened to the Percy Jackson series).
Post a Comment