Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Book Talk Tuesday - "No Backbone" Series

While at the library each week, my baby is required to pick 3 books.  Just 3.  This is usually done for a very long time because he really doesn't enjoy reading.  He likes to have ME read to HIM, but he doesn't like to sit down and read a book on his own.  Until these...


We found three on our library's "new books" stand and he grabbed them asking if he could get them too.  (duh, I did say yes!)  Then we went looking for more.  We found a total of 11 of them in our library.  He wanted all of them!

I am in love with these little books.

They have beautiful photos of the bug/organism discussed in the book...


They have repeating themes.  My son now knows what "molting" is because everything that has and "exoskeleton" (another new word for him) molts.  He also knows that most of the insects that hatch are called "Nymphs" and spiders are "Spiderlings".  He knows what an "egg sack" is and what it looks like.  He also knows some really fun facts on eating, hiding and hunting for each thing we have read about.


He also can tell you a few related things for each...


I love that he is sitting and looking through these books, sounding out the words to learn things on his own so that when we sit together to read them, he already has a basic knowledge and he is excited to learn.

I am so glad we found these at our library.  They have been a joy to read, wonderful repeating themes and words, and beautiful photography.

If you can find them in your library (or want to buy some excellent simple books for younger children) these are so worth it.

Cheers

3 comments:

For Ann and Peter said...

I bet you're learning a lot from these too! And he probably loves to sound things out ahead of time so he can even seem more 'in the know'. Nothing delights children more than when they can teach their parents something. I love these kind of books too. Just even for me. It's information you wouldn't normally get if you read a tome of a book. In these you get the interesting highlights - the really cool stuff. I will definitely look for these. Thanks Jaime.

Jocelyn said...

These are so cool! Do you think they would be too advanced for my M? I would love her to learn about bugs so she's not afraid of them. But not confident enough for her to haul them in the house! haha

Eva said...

So funny you posted about this series. I just read the "Wiggly Earthworms" book today to my Joyschool group. They (3-4year olds) loved it. We've also had Gooey Jellyfish out from the library. My kids love the bright pictures and interesting facts. Thanks for showing the whole series. I didn't know there were so many.