Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Book Talk Tuesday - Cinder
By: Marissa Meyer
Cinder is half machine, half human. A cyborg in a new world where cyborgs are not popular people at all. Cinder is also a gifted mechanic, owing to the fact that she can "feel" what is wrong in other machines.
When Cinder meets Kai, the prince of New Beijing, her whole life changes.
OK. The good or the bad news first? Let's go with good news.
The plot is pretty original. A cyborg Cinderella? Check. Fairly realistic romantic entanglement and development? Check. A story that keeps pace and is pretty interesting? Check and Check.
I mostly enjoyed the premise of the story. I am a sucker for a re-telling. If it is a fairy tale retelling, chances are I probably read it, or started it anyway. I love seeing what someone is going to do with a story (or movie). This one was pretty good in the fact that you could see it was Cinderella (even without the dead giveaway of the name) and had the basic storyline (wicked step-mother, evil step-sister, "slipper" issues) but was new and different and kept you interested.
The bad news?
There is some "mild" language. It is very few and far between, but there.
If you decide you are going to read it, I think that girls would enjoy it most. I also think that children about Grade Seven and up would enjoy it best.
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Did you happen to buy this book? Cause maybe you were thinking that you would love nothing more than to loan it to me :)
Sounds pretty good-besides the mild language of course. Where do you even find these books?!
I finished the Huger Games series. I am glad it ended the way it did-on a more positive note. I thought the last 1/4 of the Mockingjay felt very rushed and lets hurry up and kill off some main characters...I can't explain how I feel about them. I would usually NEVER read books like this but I couldn't put them down...I didn't want to like them but I guess I did. It is hard to explain...
I keep trying to grab your button but it won't let me for some reason...Just thought I would let you know. :)
So...I needed something to read this weekend and picked this up on iBooks. Couldn't put it down! I wish I had waited until the series was complete though because it will be a long wait to find out what happens to Cinder! Thanks for the lead on this one.
Post a Comment