I know we have been talking about gardening on Mondays, so I thought I would throw this in here too.
This blog is hosting a wonderful forum that I am super looking forward to. Each month there will be a different "theme".
Here they are:
February: Soil building. It’s too early to garden outdoors in most parts of the country but we can ready our soil. We’ll learn about worm bins, green manures, composting, biochar and amendments with some fun prizes thrown in for random winners.
March: Home Dairy. Andrew from I Make Cheese (and Eating Rules) and Jennie Grant with the Goat Justice League will be your hosts. You don’t need goats or a cow to get started with home dairy. We’ll be learning about simple cheeses, yogurt, buttermilk and creme fraiche.
April: Gardening. It’s time to start sowing seeds indoors, outdoors, and in containers. Wherever you are you have room for something! Erica with NW Edible Life will share all the dirt.
May: Foraging. Hank Shaw from Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook and Langdon Cook from Fat of the Land will be challenging you to find food on the fly.
June: Botanicals. Laurie from Common Sense Homesteading and Sharon from Woodwife’s Journal will be looking at herbal oils, teas and tinctures to keep you glowing and healthy, both inside and out.
July: Seed Saving. Bill Thorness, author of Edible Heirlooms will share how to save your own seeds from the garden or farmer’s market and get you on your way to winter gardening. It feels strange to think about winter in July but you need to!
August: Preserving. From eating seasonally and cellaring to fermenting and canning with Marissa McClellan of Food in Jars, there will be something for everyone this month.
September: Bartering. Kate Payne, the queen of food swaps and author of Hip Girl’s Guide to Homemaking will walk you through the process.
October: Protein. Choose your own challenge, from hunting with Tovar Cerulli to backyard meat and eggs to purchasing a whole animal to growing your own beans or making your own tofu. Find out how to make responsibly-sourced protein affordable.
November: Grains. With temperatures dropping and holidays on the way, it’s time to put on a few pounds with baked goods and homebrew. We’ll be baking with whole grains and brewing with all grain mash. No processed flours and malt syrups here!
December: Handcrafted holidays. Drop out of the ultimate commercial machine. We’ll look at home crafting gifts and simplifying the holidays. Slow down and celebrate the reason for the season.
January: Reflections and wrap ups. We’ll share our triumphs and failures in a highlight format. This will be your chance to shine or come clean and develop your personal 2013 goals.
Can I just tell you how super excited I am about this?! It looks awesome and seems to be something that EVERYONE no matter what sort of living condition they are in, can participate or learn from.
I am super excited for April, June and September. I am a nerd like that!
Anyway, I thought that if I was this excited about it, I would share it with you as well because maybe you want to participate. The banner up top takes you to the blog, or the button on the side over there will as well.
Cheers
4 comments:
Sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing! :-)
Thanks for the info! I am totally going to follow this!
I saw that on your side bar earlier and looked at it, totally getting stoked for our garden . . . just wish we knew a little more what we were doing :) We aren't very patient people :)
I am going to be excited to garden this year. I am going to be excited to garden this year...I hope if I keep saying it it will be true. It is one of those things I REALLY want to love but can't quite get there...I am working on it though! That counts for something right?
Post a Comment