You know how everyone always says to young Mom's, "Don't wish away your kids' childhood, it will be gone before you know it!"?
I used to burn hearing that! I hated it. What did they know? Where did they get off telling me that MY experiences were LESS? I was not wishing away the childhood of my children, I just wished that parts of it were done, like: walking the halls in church with a crying child, sitting in nursery because my child would not go without me, getting up for midnight feedings, snot on every shirt I owned - permanent it seemed, and so on...
The other day I realized I have left that Mom behind.
Instead I have this one in her place.
...that warm, heavy feeling of a baby sweating as they cuddle close while sleeping....
...the wide eyed trusting look they give you as you care for them while sick....
...the joy and wonder as they experience something for the first time....
...the messy faces that mean they loved their food with out any self consciousness.
I find that this mother has changed to rejoice in the new experiences like...
...the first heartfelt, pleading of a child to their Heavenly Father...
...the simple help of a brother to another...
...teaching children and seeing their faces light up with that knowledge. Then further using it in their lives...
...the simple joy of seeing the work ethic that has been instilled in the children.
This Mother rejoices in the young Deacon who works hard to honor his Priesthood and takes that responsibility so seriously. The young 6 year old who talks almost daily of his desire to be baptized soon. The 10 year old who loves seniors and children so much and is so gentle.
Each age and stage are so amazing and each time they pass into one I am so thankful I have been there with them. It is so strange each time my last baby reaches some milestone and I have to sort of grieve that I will never be there again, but then my oldest reaches a new one and I remember how incredibly blessed I am to be their Mom.
I am sure in my small way, this is the way our Father in Heaven feels as we reach one of our "milestones" of development as well.
Cheers



6 comments:
Great perspective Jaime! I was lamenting that childhood is slipping away in our family as well...I needed this today.
Good thoughts! I personally don't feel like I'm wishing away my kids' childhood when I'm put out by spending all of church in the hall with a wiggly kid. I enjoy their silly antics while they do them, even if it does keep me from where I want to be. Yet, I can still be a tad put off that I couldn't get the much needed spiritual boost I needed that day.
Love this! Thanks for sharing! Being a mom is the best and being home to watch your kids grow and learn is awesome!
So true. It still amazes me how quickly it has gone by...a whole decade for me. Thanks for sharing.
I really love this! Isn't it wonderful to have the opportunity to move through all of these different stages, and learn right along with them? Thanks for sharing.
What a beautiful post! I have been having a rough time watching my babies grow up, but learning to appreciate each stage. I have 3 boys, as well. We live in Hawaii and are a homeschooling LDS family. I've enjoyed your blog so far and would love to keep reading!
Post a Comment