Do you ever think about safety? Personal and family.
When we were in Mexico, all of the windows have these bars on them:
Every.Single.One
There were also roll-up doors on the front door, with all their possessions and yards being behind that roll-up door. Glass on all the ledges so on one would use them as a boosting up space, and fences around buildings like the church.
Do you have to live in the same way? Honestly curious here.
I don't. I was saying my prayers the other night and was thankful for my safety. Then I had a thought about the way we live. We don't worry for our safety the way so many others do.
We can be stopped by a police and generally we don't have to worry for our safety.
We can be in our homes, and even with a glass window beside our door, not worry about someone breaking it to get into our homes at night.
We can sleep soundly and not have to start at every noise we hear. Worrying about people and the things that they do.
One thing I totally take for granted. Safety.
Another thing is this:
Safe, running water. These are wash basins. This is where the surrounding area washes their clothing.
We can turn on a tap and drink the water right from it. We can brush our teeth with that running water. If we have dirty clothes, we can wash them in a washing machine. We also have a dryer if we so desire.
It is amazing the things that we take for granted. Little things to us, but WAY bigger to others. My post about food was just one of the places I am trying to think more about. I take my lifestyle for granted. What if it were all taken away?
I have thought about how we would cope if we had a disaster happen. What if something along the line of the EMP that they are thinking might happen if the sun really does have a flare that causes a catastrophic EMP like they predict?
Do we know how to live like they do in places like Mexico? If all of our conveniences were taken away, would we be able to cope? Do we know how to hand wash all of our clothing? Do we have food to eat? Can we prepare it? What if we have to use money to buy food or whatever and the bank machines don't work? Do we have cash on hand?
Our prophets have been asking us to get prepared for any eventuality. I love preparedness. How did I get here with bars on windows?! I love thinking about "what if's" and getting prepared for them. I love storing up food and using it. I love camping, we practice skills like cooking over a fire, using our dutch oven, living without running water, or if there is water it is almost always some we have to boil. I love teaching my children about the plants and animals we share our world with. I love seeing all my buckets of wheat, beans and other food and knowing that I know how to use it. We will not have to live on a small loaf or bread with 1/3 C beans if we have to rely on our food storage. I know how to make food that will be much tastier than that! :)
What do you think?
What are you most thankful for? Do you count your little blessings or are you more thankful for large things that you have? I would love to hear about them.
Cheers
1 comment:
WOW! Doc and I talk about this -- but now I'm stressed thinking about all the huge windows in my house thinking of what would happen if someday we're no longer safe ..... I'm so grateful that we live in a safe community right now.
Post a Comment