As I said before, we bought a movie called Human Planet. It is made by BBC, so I knew it would be very (almost painfully) honest in it's depiction of people that live on this beautiful world.
When dh and I were watching the first part called Jungles, we noticed a common theme. In the forest, they eat monkeys. One tribe even takes the orphans into their homes and care for them as pets. One woman said, "Pet's don't taste good". They don't eat them, they raise them as children.
One part I am still trying to come to grips with is that as children, they care totally for them, even breast feeding them. (Warning if you do watch this clip, there are some glimpses of the tops of breasts. The documentary deals with the life just like National Geographic does with native populations, they are depicted just as they live. Just so you are aware, if this bothers you, don't watch it)
Then in the Cities portion, they talk about a religious sect that are said to be the first "environmentalists". When gazelles are left as orphans and found, they are brought home and the woman breastfeeds it.
(this one is not graphic, but the topic is discussed)
I don't know.
What do you think? I am not sure if I am comfortable with even the thought, but it is so far out of my norm that maybe I just can't fathom it. I can't fathom feeding a three year old child by breast either...possibly this is another instance of me not being able to come to terms with something that is done so very different than my "normal".
These shows are amazing. There are many different ways of living. There are practices and living conditions that are so far beyond my "norm" that I was baffled/surprised/disgusted/amazed at the many people that live where they do, and the conditions they live in. This earth is amazing, the people on it are equally amazing. The things we take for granted sometimes are baffling. I have never before thought to be grateful for something as simple as a bra. (sounds silly, but true) The DVD's have opened my eyes to some pretty different ways of living and totally new concepts to me. Thinking ensues. :)
Cheers
6 comments:
Sorry about that, I got it in an e-0mail Id be very happy to link back :)
I also made a post of this :
There are Several Link I get from people through e-mail...
If you see your link Please let me know so I can give Credit where Credit is do...
Thank you :)
Under the scouting post i put
***Sorry about this***, I got this in an e-mail from Tanya, The Direct Link is at
http://rovinroberts.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-scouting-and-homeschooling-are-same.html
All I can say is WOW! I think that is a bit weird!!!!!!!! okay, maybe all of those exclamation points really mean ALOT weird. I think it's great they want to rescue them, but? I don't know... weird.
And yeah, I am grateful for my bras!
Ummmm... I think a line is definitely being crossed there. Animal kingdom is the animal kingdom.
Weird. Never heard of such a thing in my life!!
WAIT!!! Are you telling me they breastfeed an animal??!!
My brain is officially melting ....
As weird as it sounds, we are probably dealing with people that don't have bottles - how else would they feed the babies?? Then again, if you are comfortable EATING a monkey, breastfeeding might not be a big leap . . .
Post a Comment