Thursday, July 7, 2011

Judging Others

A couple years ago we bought a 1992 GMC Sierra.  It is old.  It is nicely maintained, but old. 

We decided to buy a truck because we were spending lots of money going to the dump and transporting lots of things that are big.  So, we checked with Kijiji and sure enough we found one that was in great condition with fairly little to do to it to make it good to run.

We drove up and I had to laugh.  It is totally an "old man truck".  Check out the interior...


See what I mean?! 

I love it.  It seats 6 so it fits our whole family really well.  We took it camping this weekend and could fit all our camping stuff in the back without crowding us in the vehicle (like we did with our van).  The best part of it all is, it is totally paid for with cash.  Both our vehicles are.  Both are old, but both have no payments left on them.

Now the judging part:

Sometimes when we drive somewhere people look at us like we are driving this:


We just moved to a new place that we are renting until everything all fits together in Heavenly Father's great puzzle.  Our new house sits in an older, well established, wealthy area.  While it is a great place to rent, with wonderful neighbours, we have noticed some disturbing things.  Our neighbours prefer our truck hidden in our garage.  One even asked us to put it back when I took it out for a week.  :)  I laugh at it now, but I think it is also disturbing.

Another example.  We lived in a different ward when we owned our other house.  It was a lovely ward with a great diversity of people.  We felt well loved there.  There were many that were struggling, some that were middle class, and some really wealthy, but down to earth people that lived there.  When we got our truck it was met with great joy because we could then transport things.  It was used for moves, transporting mass quantities of food from Lethbridge, and picking up large amounts of potatoes, corn and tomatoes.  We used it well there.  We are now in another wonderful ward.  We have many good friends in this new ward, having lived in it before, but have come to realize it is different.  I drive the truck (or dh) and we get looked at.  As I said before, we have wonderful friends in this ward, not everyone is like this.  BUT, our ward is considerably more wealthy, and likes the new vehicles, clothes and stuff that go with the money.  The people in this ward drive nice things, dress well and look like they have money.  NOT that this is bad...I am just making a point here. 

When do we draw the line?

When do we need to stop judging people?  I know that we are to exercise judgement when we are making friends and when we are making our decisions, but when do we cross that "righteous judgment" line? 

Do we hopefully look on others as Christ looks on us and see our brothers and sisters in this life. 

Do we let that little boy who always has a runny nose and dirty clothes play with our kids or do we turn him away because he should be better groomed?

Do we befriend someone who wears clothes that are a little odd or do we say they are too different based on appearances and move on?

Do we take that second look at the mother who is overwhelmed with her children and offer to lend a helping hand and in the process listen and find out that her husband was called away for the week for training?

Do we notice that someone drives a big old truck and realize that maybe they have different priorities, and maybe they are worth knowing even though they don't drive a huge SUV that is new?

What do you think? 

Do you think that I am totally out to lunch or do we sometimes need to take that second look and see what is underneath? 

I am totally guilty of doing this.  I have made judgements on people and later found out how TOTALLY and HORRIBLY WRONG I was.  I have been lucky to have some wonderful friends that I have learned this hard lesson from.

I still do this, but am trying so hard to curb the judging.

Just a little food for thought.  Please feel free to "weigh in" in the comments below.  (but please keep it nice...not that you wouldn't, just a little reminder)  And, just read this from Steph.  Dovetails so nicely.

Cheers

13 comments:

Montserrat said...

The summer before Mr. FR and I were married I was visiting his family for a couple of weeks. One Sunday everyone headed to church in different vehicles. Mr. FR, his sister, and I were the last ones and the only truck left was an old '50s white truck they called "The Animal." It seriously looked much like the second picture you posted. We went to church laughing the whole way as dust came up through the floorboards. During Sacrament meeting his sister and I had a hard time keeping straight faces as we looked at our dust covered shoes.

Later that afternoon after church Mr. FR's mom told us something funny that happened. She was backing out of the parking lot and saw the truck in her rearview mirror. She thought, "Oh wow! Those poor, poor people. Well at least they came to church anyway." When she got home she realized those "poor people" was her own family! She said it was good lesson on judging for her.

Lynn said...

Great post!!! We too drive vans (always buy second hand vehicles....and the same older make and type...so that we can haul our large family and all their gear around) and are judged for it.

Some have even gone so far as to express their disbelief that our van has been stolen three times on us. "Who would want that vehicle?"

Us. That's who. And apparently many others who see the "value" in a "work horse" vehicle. lol

GoldieGirl said...

I have always been taught that to judge a persons worth based on their income will get you nothing, except to more than likely rob yourself of what could have been a treasured and values relationship with another child of god.

Carrie said...

Great post. Isn't it amazing that the people who should know better are judging? We all have room for improvement-I struggle with judging too. We are all human...At our house we drive cars until they can't drive anymore. Our 1995 Jeep is still going strong and we wouldn't replace it with a car payment for anything. (It would be nice if the AC would work-it's hot in NC, but it drives and that is all that matters.)
Was your neighbor serious about putting your truck in the garage? I can't believe anyone would say that! What are people thinking...

Stephanie said...

Love it. We can all do so much better, can't we?

Mindy Halladay said...

You are right in so many ways. Judging people is so easy to do, but so NOT what we should do. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Jocelyn said...

I love your truck!

I think my opinion is with vehicles is that the older ones are really made better, last longer and work way harder than lots of the new ones. We did a lease on a van (BIG mistake) and that thing was in the shop over 75 days in 4 years. People kept saying "Well, at least you have warranty." Well sure but we paid BIG for it.

We now have a old neon and astro. We use the van for work and the neon for driving around. Both are paid for and I love not having the payment as well.

I try to take this approach when someone has a problem with me or something of mine, "It's their problem and they have to deal with it" I guess if they really don't like your truck parked out there they can buy you a new one!

Connie said...

Judging is one of the hardest things for me. I always feel so conscious of how people percieive me because of how I judge. I try so hard not to place judgements but it's a work in progress. I hope that things go better for you.

AllisonK said...

Lovely post! We have a old truck complete with dents and rust. I love the looks I get when I drive it, being Mexican helps!

Cassi :) said...

Having had big car payments before - it is NOT worth it! Some people just don't have that figured out yet. Too bad they feel the need to push their priorities on you! I'd leave it outside on purpose now . . . is that going against the point of this post?? haha!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

WOW, just wow. I am so naive. Wow. We live in a lower-middle class area and I hope we never move. People are so much more accepting here. I am sorry about your neighbors... I'm sure they're "nice" and all, but they really asked you to put your truck in the garage?????

Valerie said...

I'm glad you are able to see past the comments or looks and still feel that the ward is great. We all need a reminder not to judge. It can really hurt people and, as you said, our judgements are often wrong.

Anonymous said...

I am SO all for the older vehicles -- maybe because I grew up where that was the majority mentality, but seriously -- who wants those nasty payments for a new car every month? Plus, I totally agree with how awesome it is to be able to help out with moves, etc. :)