In it there is discussion that is very applicable to this day. How our food has become "big business" and less farm fresh. I know I live in Canada and this documentary was made in the US, but the issues, while a bit different, still apply here.
After watching this movie, I have pondered a few things.
While reading the Ensign in March I came across this article by Allie Schulte. I want to quote a bit here.
As President of the Church, Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) encouraged members “to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yard. Even those residing in apartments or condominiums can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden … neat and attractive as well as productive.”
I have always FIRMLY believed in growing a garden. When I was growing up, my Mom let us help and later grow our own things in the garden. Later, when I went away to college I took Landscape Horticultural Management. When we were first married we lived in a small apartment with just a balcony and small strip of dirt that we still grew tomatoes and peppers and whatever we could. We have had big gardens and little ones, and now I am back to only being able to use containers (renting sucks sometimes) but always have a garden.
Many Church members throughout the world live in apartments or small homes with no yard space for a garden plot. Others live in dry regions where the soil is barren. Some feel that they do not have the time or financial means to grow their own food. Yet with study, faith, diligence, patience, and a little creativity, anyone can succeed in gardening.
...the possibilities for planting a successful garden are endless—even with minimal space, money, or experience. As members strive to be obedient to this principle, they will realize that by planting small seeds in the pursuit of self-reliance, they will reap great blessings for their efforts.
Elder Perry encouraged, “Our labors will continue to bring forth a more abundant harvest each year as we follow the Lord’s law of the harvest. He has bound himself to provide us with abundance so long as we will live his law in righteousness and labor for that blessing.
“Have your own experience in planting a garden. Then make application in your own life of this great principle of the law of the harvest.”
What an amazing blessing.
I know that growing our own food is not always cheaper, but I also know it is SO much better. Better tasting, better for you, better to can or preserve. My dh will not even eat tomato sauce from the grocery anymore because he loves the stuff we make so much better! Picky, I think not. He has just learned the quality and freshness is so much better tasting and better for him. (although he is picky...:D)
As I watched the movie I was disturbed, but I was also prodded.
I know that I have always been gardening, but this show really reinforced the principle to me. The Lord truly inspires our prophets. He sees our day and leads our leaders and us. He inspires and reveals so many important things that we may sometimes see as just little things. How little is a garden? If we grow even just a little bit of food, there are so many benefits. HE sees those things.
What a blessing to have a loving Father in Heaven who guides and directs us in our paths. (even the gardening path)
How about you? Have you ever grown a garden? Do you have a strong testimony of growing one? Share below in the comments, I would love to hear from you.
Cheers


9 comments:
I've seen that movie as well. I agree it was disturbing.
We are working on a sizable garden this year. I'm looking forward to canning and storing all the goodies. ;)
I have heard about this movie but I am too scared to watch it...We are so late on our garden. We are heading to Lowe's tomorrow to get a couple tomato plants and something else to grown in containers. We have only had a large garden one season and it was AMAZING. How I wish I had that big yard now, I would totally take advantage of it.
I am with Carrie. I have heard so much about this movie, but also too scared to watch it. I don't think I want to have it in my dreams. I will just trust in the words of the prophets and continue to be obedient to the principles of growing our own food.....and yes....it's so hard to keep faithful with that thought when it seems more and more expensive to grow a garden each year. : ( Boo. But we keep trying. ; D Fresh REALLY does taste the best. We are picky like your DH. ha ha.
I have grown a garden but it's never done well. I tend to kill everything that I touch! But I'm still trying!
I LOVE gardening but I love canning more. I am not a great weeder. After our garden not growing at all last year because it was so wet, I am grateful for the opportunity to grow again this year. Have had my seeds for 6 weeks! Starting some things tonight for FHE tonight. My kids are excited, and THAT makes me happy! I am hoping to pass along a love of gardening and food storage to them.
You can rent a plot at a community garden. I know there are some out here. If you call the Health Unit and ask for Rita or her secretary, you can arrange for one with them. Good luck, you are a great gardener and it would be nice to see you get in some gardening this year!
I just created a raised garden bed last summer; I'm so excited to garden again! :D ~ And yes, I do have a testimony of gardening. I didn't think I had room for one; now I can't believe I ever thought that!
Happy gardening! Looking forward to reading more...
Corine :D
I'm dying to see this movie now! I'll be looking at the library tomorrow! I posted something on a book I read that supports the eating fresh foods - you might like it as well. we are trying to grow a garden this year (next to impossible on this mountain we live on) but we are putting up a big greenhouse this weekend . . . wish us luck :)
Oh, I also watched "Supersize Me" several years ago - talk about a yikes!-eye-opening movie. Totally freaked me out!
Your garden was an inspiration to me. I have to admit, gardening is growing on me, but especially canning. I hope I can keep up this year with little Jake keeping me busy.
I'm with Cassi, "Supersize Me" was eye opening. I'll have to give "Food, Inc." a try, I'll put it on hold at the library.
Post a Comment