One day I heard my Mom and Dad discussing our finances.
It was grim.
I knew we were not well off, but this month was particularly tight and there was a choice. Pay our tithing, or buy groceries.
In our church we believe strongly in paying 10% in tithe. We know that if we obey this, that the Lord will bless us.
When I heard my parents discussing this tight month, I was concerned. I had just been baptized and knew that to be obedient, we would pay our tithing, but I was worried we wouldn't be able to eat that month.
On Sunday, my parent filled out our tithing slip and handed an envelope to the bishop.
I was sure we were going to starve.
On Monday there was a knock on the door.
When my Mom answered the door a lady was standing there with bags of groceries and a smile on her face. She said, "I was in the store and accidentally bought to many groceries. Could your family use them?"
A few times since that day I have been in different positions to lend a hand.
I never regret doing so, because I keep thinking, maybe they need it as much as we did back then.
This lady is now passed on, but I still remember that small act of kindness that taught a young 8 year old girl that it is not always the LARGE acts that get remembered, it is sometimes just a few bags of groceries that you "accidentally" buy.
Cheers
As always, Cocoa has more wonderful bloggers writing on the same topic, join us there.

8 comments:
thank you for sharing that story . . . i'm glad you had an experience like that which strengthened your testimony of tithing! :)
That's a neat story! What a cute way to go about helping someone out, too.
It never ceases to amaze me how it always works out. Not always like we expect it but it always does.
Your story shows how important it is for young ones to experience the joy of service. Little did that woman know that she was also strengthening an 8 year olds testimony of tithing.
We did the twelve days of Christmas for a family who was struggling but we called it the twelve days of food storage. It was so much fun and my kids remember it with fondness and always want to do it again.
Serving is fun and I am being reminded today of that and feeling a desire to try to extend myself more than I am currently.
A similar incident happened to my family when I was five! It has always stayed with me too.
What a beautiful story of where your testimony and faith began when it comes to pay your tithing. I have a feeling that it was meant for you to overhear that conversation between your parents. ; D Otherwise you might not have really known what those extras groceries being dropped off.. really meant to your family. So cool how that all worked out. Love it.
Amazing story! People really are good. I have so far to go in recognizing the Spirit to help others on a more regular basis.
I love that she knew what to say when she came to your door...being tongue tied is my biggest problem and prevents me from doing lots of things I wish I did! Maybe I will now...
Post a Comment