Monday, December 13, 2010

Bow Ties

I am a tying machine here at my house!  :) 

I was going to give my boys a bow tie for Christmas, but I had to make sure they fit.  I was a bit sad not to be able to include these little treasures in their stockings...but that means I can share a really quick tute with you on how to tie one!  :)

I searched lots patterns on the net...and found a few for free, but finally bought this pattern.  If you really want to make one, search it out, almost all the patterns are similar and really easy to make.  (If you want me to make you one...I am giving one away in January, after the Christmas craziness!)


 Step 1:  Make one end shorter than the other.  Take the long end and make and X with it on the top. 

Step 2:  Take the long end up and under the X.  Pull just like you would with your shoe laces, nice and tight to the shirt collar.

Step 3:  With the short end, fold until it makes the shape of a bow.


 Step 4:  Bring the long end over the bow shape.

Step 5:  Fold together and pull off to the side.  See where my finger is poking through?  That is the hole you take the long part and push though.  (try not to make it a bow shape...just take the end not folded in and push through, you will see...it will work) 


Step 6:  Pull the whole way through.  On the back of each "bow" part, pull tight.  This makes for a nice tight bow.

Step 7:  Pull your shirt collar down and arrange your snazzy tie over the outside so everyone can see your coolness!


The two of them wanted to compete for the grand geeky champion pose...I figure son #2 wins!  :)

Seriously, I love a bow tie, it is easier to tie than I thought, and I am looking forward to having some cool dudes sitting next to me at church!

(if you would like to watch a video, THIS one on YouTube is a great one, we watched it to learn how the first time)

On the 16th I am going to show you how to tie a regular tie...it is part of my regular post over at Latterday Homeschooling.  I am excited.

Cheers

3 comments:

Judi said...

So cute! My little guys love to wear ties, I wonder if they'd wear a bow tie?

Lynn said...

Love it. Great tutorial!!! And thanks for the links.

Amy said...

Good job Mom, those handsome boys look great in their new ties!!