Thursday, October 14, 2010

Giveaway


The other day while browsing I found a bunch of these "mad libs" knockoffs.  I bought a whole pile and thought I would share with you.

My kids love writing in them.  There are fun lists of words for each story so there is less of the out of control silly that tends to happen with boys.  :)  It is also wonderful for the "creative" part of creative writing, gets them thinking outside of the box a bit.

If you want to win one (there will be two winners) all I want is a comment.  I want to know what your favorite part of fall is.  If you have a favorite recipe, (please include!) if you have a favorite tradition, or even a favorite decoration.  I want to know it.  The contest will end next Monday (October 18th) at 8am Mountain Time.

For now, here is one of my new favorite recipes. (I did post this on my food storage blog so sorry if you have read that already) One of my very favorite parts of fall is the abundance of pumpkins...LOVE pumpkin food.  We had this for Thanksgiving dessert and it was loved by all but a SIL who found out she didn't like molasses!  :)

First off, sorry for the secondhand picture.  I forgot to take a picture BEFORE we ate it, so this is a picture of the scooped out leftovers.  It is a really pretty cake if you take a picture before you eat it!  :)

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

The day before make your cake:
Gingerbread Cake
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Brown sugar
1 tsp Ground ginger
11/4 C Flour
Mix together, make a well at the center and add:
1/2 Molasses
1/2 C Apple sauce
2 Egg whites
1/2 C Milk
Mix together and pour into a well greased 8X8 pan.  Bake for 30 min at 350F until cooked through.  Makes a really moist and chewy cake.

The next day make the pudding:
4 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 medium egg
3 tablespoons margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a saucepan combine the sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the milk. Heat the pudding over medium heat. Stir constantly until it boils. Boils for a  minute. Remove from heat and add the margarine and vanilla, stir until the margarine melts.  The pudding will thicken up considerably as it cooks.

In a separate bowl:
1 C Canned pumpkin (your own or from a store, just make sure there aren't any spices, if there are, don't add the next spices)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Allspice
1/2 C Brown sugar
Mix well and add to the Vanilla pudding mixture.

Make a batch of whipping cream or use a tub of whipped topping.

Layer in large bowl, cake, pudding and whipping cream, cake, pudding and whipping cream.  Top with crushed gingersnaps if desired.

Cheers

9 comments:

Krystal G said...

My fav. part of Autmum would be the cool brisk morning when I can see my breath but by the afternoon I can go outside without a coat to look at the trees which are all sorts of pretty colors.

shauna said...

That trifle looks delicious! I might have to try it this weekend. My favourite part of fall is cinnamon. All of my scentsy for fall is cinnamon based and all my baking turns to a more cinnamon flavour. Summer is for lemon and berries and while I love those flavours, I love coming back home to cinnamon.

Lynn said...

Sweaters and fashion boots! My most favorite part of fall. But if you ask me again, I would say, "snuggling up with my honey when it's breezy and cold." ; D

Cassi :) said...

socks and flannel sheets! and all the pumpkin! I would share a favorite but I got most of them from you! :) (i.e. pumpkin cobbler!) Well, here are my pumpkin cookies: 1C oil, 3C sugar, 2 eggs, 2tsp. baking pwd., 1tsp. salt, 2tsp. cinnamon, 2tsp. vanilla, 1 large can pumpkin (plain), 5C flour, 2tsp. baking soda, 2tsp. nutmeg, chocolate chips (optional, but definitely recommended!) Mix together, spoon on cookie sheet and bake at 375. I don't have the time written down, so it must vary on the size of the cookies. They should be soft and spongy and oh, so yummy!

Cassi :) said...

p.s. I LOVE trifles - can't wait to try yours!

Rebecca said...

Plain old, pumpkin pie, fresh from the oven! Perfect with a dollop of homemade, whipped cream! It's nothing fancy, but I love pumpkin pie and I actually only make it for Thanksgiving. So the kids and I look forward to it every year ~ my husband likes pecan and he gets that every Christmas :0).

I also love the cooler days and the fresh smell of the great outdoors. Pumpkin patches. Baking (I don't do a lot of this during the spring and summer). More family time, as away-from-home activities start to slow down.

Missy said...

Fall is fabulous for so many reasons. Pinecones, a crisp chill in the air, the smell of fireplaces beginning their use, cinnamon and nutmeg; mustard yellow, sunset orange and scarlet leaves every where. Sweaters that I love to wear and hate to part with every spring, making autumn/Halloween/Thanksgiving crafts with the kids.

But most of all fall is for pumpkin baked goods, yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE Autumn. LOVE the colours, running thru the leaves with my kids, the smell of Autumn, the crispness, What is NOT to like about fall.

Maybe I will try that Trifle for Jason, he is DYING to have some made for him. Is it hard for a novice?

Jarmeg Family said...

wow looks delish, i am definitely going to try this!