Saturday, April 17, 2010

Modesty

I have a few thoughts percolating about modesty. 


What do you think is modest? 

How old should we be "starting" with our children?  (personally I think that all the "rules" we follow as adults should be right from birth...but that is my pet peeve)



I know that this picture is not real people, but the styles of today are represented here.  I have a problem with the SHORT skirts and shorts, the tops that haven't a sleeve to be found, and not pictured here...bras/bikini tops worn as shirts.  (and don't get me started about bikini's as a bathing suit...)



We don't have to dress as a 1800's woman, but I really would be happy if some of these so called styles would just disappear.

I know that I have boys, but really I think that teaching them is just as important as teaching girls.  I have trouble with teaching them to respect women when so many women/teens/girls dress the way the world dresses now.

When I go shopping it is getting incresingly hard to find clothes that fit.  I am uncomfortable with even shopping for my little nieces.  Girls clothing, while super cute without sleeves, or short with little bloomers, is not something I want to be buying or making.  Women's clothing....it is getting hotter, the shorts are becoming shorter, and the shirts tighter and less material.

What do you think is modest?  What are you thoughts on this?  What would you wear to church on a really hot day?  (flip flops...another pet peeve...sorry) Let me know if you blog on this, or post in the comments...

Cheers

2 comments:

Lynn said...

HAve you seen these articles?

http://www.ldsimageintegrity.info/modesty-issues.php

Or this one?

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/50732/Image-integrity.html

The above one is one of my favorites and I used it often in classes or discussions where I was the only member. Seems that they could relate to that one more. And agreed. ; D

And then there is this one too:

http://modernmollymormon.blogspot.com/2009/03/be-smart-appearance-and-manners.html

Or this one:

http://modernmollymormon.blogspot.com/2009/03/all-dressed-upand-some-place-to-go.html

The last two are not necessarily about modesty, but HOW even a modest dress gives the wrong message if it is a sloppy or uncaring attitude. (Since you brought up the flip flop issue...totally agree by the way) I just had to throw those in from my files as well. I refer to them often too.

But here's another goodie from my files on modesty when it comes to sports or swim or gym:

(Scroll down to the VERY last question when there)

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=c0a446581c79b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD#footnote03301_000_008_00002

Krystal G said...

i agree that we should start teaching our children modest dressing habits since birth, at any rate it is almost impossible to find a baby girl summer shirt that consist of actual sleeves. and i also have a very hard time finding modest clothing, especially in the summer months when all i can find in the stores are short shorts and shorter skirts not to mention tight, low cut, see through, sleeveless tops. it resorts me to Value Village to buy jeans to cut into shorts myself or a shirt to sew on sleeves....and i think it's innappropriate to wear flip flops to church..they are a casual summer footwear that was made for lazing around or the beach-not church. there are many more appropriate sandals girls can wear to church. great post tho. i agree with you!