Wednesday, June 3, 2009

History In The Hills

We got to go to History in the hills with Kolten's class today. It was really quite cool. I get to do lots of cool stuff that I would have never gotten to do if I wasn't a parent that went on field trips. We got to see many aspects of the native way of life and the early settlers. What fun and educational!


Blackfoot TeePee It was pretty cool to go in them all...beautiful workmanship!


Playin some games


Michael was keeping himself entertained! :)


Cree teepee...they were two different styles. So neat to see as I totally thought a teepee was a teepee! :)


The kids learning how to be in the RCMP...early 1900's style!


First you take a skin...start right here in the center and slowly cut a larger and larger circle...


Then you will get this. A long continious strand of skin...get it wet and plyable and you can twist it into shapes, tie it and make stuff like this...


Anyone used one of these before? Snowshoes are made from one of these continious strands of skin.


Then you can also make many things from skin that has been tanned...like this box. (He even took it and jumped on it. It didn't break!)


Here are a few more things to make with skins that have been tanned.

This was a pretty cool day of stuff. I really enjoyed learning about so many different things and Michael even had fun...that makes it fun for me too! Well worth checking out if you are in town this weekend.

No comments: