Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Taste of God's Love

My Dad was kind enough to be my "man blogger"!  I have been lucky enough to have a father who is an amazing man, a wonderful priesthood holder, and someone I consider very wise.  Here he is:

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."
About ten years ago I sat in a beach chair on the edge of a huge wave pool located in a great and spacious building known as The West Edmonton Mall.  (If I can be convinced to go to the pool, I can often be found doing just that—sitting and watching—while family members get their kicks out of swimming in someone else's bathwater.) On this day I took note of the thousands of people making use of the indoor water park. There were big ones, little ones, round ones, thin ones, saggy ones, vain ones, modest ones, tough ones, wimpy ones and shy ones. Some were tanned from exposure to the sun, others had obviously been doing the fake and bake thing, and some got their tan from a tube. Some were yelling because they were having fun, some were yelling because that seemed to be their preferred mode of communication with spouse and children, others yet were quietly enjoying an opportunity to relax.
Amidst all this “people watching” my thought process went something like this: There are a lot of people here... everyone is so different... some would be easy to get along with, some are jerks... there are a lot of people on this planet... it's mind-boggling to think about how unique each of the Earth's inhabitants are... And then I pondered long and hard on this one: How is it possible that Heavenly Father can know and love all of these people individually and intimately? It wasn't that I was doubting what we've been taught; I was simply wondering how it is done.


While in “ponder mode” I was suddenly struck by a feeling that overwhelmed me most unexpectedly. I felt that, for a fleeting moment, I was allowed to “feel” the answer to my question. I wasn't told how it was done, but I knew it was true. The moment passed quickly, probably because I wouldn't have been able to withstand a prolonged period of what I feel was a taste of God's love, but I was left without a doubt that Heavenly Father loves each one of us as though we are His only child.
As stated in the proclamation, this means we have a divine nature and destiny. What that means to each of us should be a matter of personal study and prayer. It should determine how we act with each other and when we are alone. It should determine how we treat others—all seven billion of our brothers and sisters—and how we speak about them. It should be the driving force behind all we do.
It should also help us understand why gender is an essential characteristic. According to Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: “[Gender] in large measure defines who we are, why we are here upon the earth, and what we are to do and become.” (“Marriage Is Essential to His Eternal Plan,” Liahona, June 2006, 51; Ensign, June 2006, 83).
Julie B. Beck, Relief Society general president, further elaborates: “As spirit daughters of God, women ‘received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth’ (D&C 138:56) on the earth... They wished to work side by side with righteous men to accomplish eternal goals that neither can attain independently. Female roles did not begin on earth, and they do not end here. (“A ‘Mother Heart,’ ” Liahona and Ensign, May 2004, 76).
I really like Sister Beck's insight into receiving our first lessons... it makes me think about learning what made me a unique individual and being trained how to use that to benefit myself and others. This life is not happenchance. There is a definite plan; a plan that loving Heavenly Parents set up for us to succeed and to return to live with Them because They love us like we love our own children—except They love us perfectly.



My name is Jim.  In 1976 I married a beautiful young woman who was a great example to me. We're both a little older now, but she's still beautiful and loves me in spite of my many shortcomings. We have two wonderful daughters, each of whom have three awesome brothers. All of our children are married and have given us 11 adorable grandchildren.

I am currently employed in healthcare in an administrative capacity. In 1995 I took a 10-year hiatus from Information Technology to pursue a photography career... but after freelancing, a stint as videographer for TV News and business manager/photographer for a design firm, I discovered I like photography best when it's not a job. Now I do it just for me...
Thank you Dad (Jim).  I think my Dad is quite the man, so I hope you did too.  What happens next?  Comment (if you don't want to comment, feel free to email me, I would love to hear your stories), grab a button, share in the fun, celebrate family.  Join us for more at the other amazing blogs that are participating.

Cocoa at Chocolate on my Cranium
Jocelyn at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ
Shannon at The Redheaded Hostess


Here is a chance to win todays prize...




From minimoments comes this sweet custom diversity family peg dolls. These make great open ended toys and are montessori and waldorf inspired. You will win one of the families already painted or get a custom painted straight-legged family (up to six members). Your choice!




Minimoments also sells diversity friend peg dolls and these cute customizable missionary dolls that can be made into Christmas ornaments.

28 comments:

JRoberts said...

From Amy Bateman:

Loved reading your Dad's words. :)

JRoberts said...

From Libby

When I feel like I'm floundering and just don't know what I'm doing it's good to know that I was given lessons to help me before I came to this Earth as a foundation and that I will continue to learn. I'd just be twinkled if I knew everything already, right? ;) ~Libby

Coombs Family said...

This was an amazing post! I loved reading your thoughts, thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post. Thanks.

Montserrat said...

I enjoy people watching when in a crowded space too! I had a similar experience of feeling a small portion of how God loves each of us individually when driving at night down a busy freeway in Georgia (USA). We were at the top of a large hill going down and I could see so many headlights coming towards us and so many taillights in front of us. I got to thinking how there were so many people each going their own way yet God was aware of and new every single one . . . including me.

Our Household said...

Thank you for the reminder of how we are all loved by our Heavenly Father

Jocelyn said...

What a beautiful post! I am so grateful your dad became a guest blogger!

Ilene said...

Loved it, I have often wondered the smaething, thanks for your insight.

Wendy said...

What an awesome answer to a question to feel the love God has for his children! How incredible to have such a beautiful witness of your worth as a son of God and to know the worth of those that surround you in God's eye!

Unknown said...

I will admit that I have never been thus inspired while people watching :) but I will think more about this next time!

Christine said...

I too appreciate the reminder that the Lord loves each and every one of us and knows us by name. Thank you for your thoughts

Cheryl said...

thank you.. this was great.

Cardon Times said...

What a wonderful gift. Thanks for sharing.

John said...

Such a nice article on How much Heavenly Father loves all of His children and knows all of them personally.

McMullin's said...

Thank you so much for sharing.

Abby said...

Thank you so much for sharing those thoughts, it's such beautiful insight.

Rachael said...

I love this celebration of the family. I am so grateful for the words of truth found in the Proclamation.

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Isn't it wonderful when we can get a righteous man's perspective? And I love that his pondering took place at WEM. I ponder there a lot, too!

Jennifer J said...

Thank you for sharing your dad with us. I don't have one like yours, so it helps me to see that some do exist. I have been thinking about Heavenly Father knowing each of us individually a lot lately, and have come to the conclusion that not only does He know us, but that we are on His mind all the time. It is very comforting to me to know that in a world where nobody really knows or cares about me, that I am on the mind of the most important person in my life.

D-lyn said...

how lovely that he could share that!

Richelle said...

Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

JT42 said...

Loved reading this perspective.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when I am feeling frustrated in traffic or in a crowd, I just remind myself about how much Heavenly Father loves all of His children. It helps me to remain calm & kind. Thanks for the great lesson from your dad!

Tade said...

Thank you. I loved the insights from your dad.

Carrie said...

Great post. Aren't those brief moments of insight amazing?

Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing! I love that Julie B. Beck quote.

Tracy said...

Great post! Thanks!

Cassi :) said...

People watching is so fun and interesting! But, I'm not sure I've ever had such deep insight into it though . . . :) Definitely something to think about! Thanks, Jaime's dad! ;)