Friday, September 9, 2011

Our Father's Plan

To start of the celebration of something I treasure so very much, here is Laura:

I put my oldest son (who I call Buddy on my blog) down for his morning nap one morning many years ago.  I always had at least an hour to do housework, to exercise, or just to collapse on the couch.  On this particular day, I'm not sure what I did.  But I do remember I was in the middle of something I couldn't leave when I heard him waking up.

I called out to him, "Mommy is coming.  Just give me a second."  As I hurried to finish whatever I was doing, I tried to keep a running chatter going so he could hear my voice and know I was close.

But my approach didn't work.  Instead of my voice calming him down, he got more and more hysterical.

You see, he knew I could hear him.  But he didn't know why I wasn't coming.  He couldn't see me and he couldn't understand my words well enough to know what I was saying to him.

So he thought I was just ignoring him.





As I was trying to calm him down, a powerful feeling came over me.  I saw myself as a little child crying out to a loving Heavenly Father, frustrated when it seems He's ignoring me.  This is what I wrote in my journal: 
As I heard my son get scared and frustrated when I didn’t immediately come when he called for me, I could understand better Heavenly Father’s responses to my prayers.  He’s always there.  He’s always listening.  Like my son did today, sometimes I don’t understand what He’s trying to tell me because I haven’t learned the language He speaks well enough.
Although I had been on a mission and I taught investigators about personal revelation, I had struggled for years with my own belief that my Heavenly Father would answer my prayers.  I had studied and pondered and prayed.  But on that day I was taught something about my Heavenly Parent because I was a parent as well.

Maybe one reason families are so important—why the Proclamation to the World teaches that "the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children"—is because we can comprehend the nature of our Heavenly Father on a different level as we mother our own children.

(Please know that as a woman who married later and who struggled with infertility, I am particularly sensitive to these issues.  I have a strong testimony that motherhood is an eternal calling, see Sister Dew's incredible talk "Are We Not All Mothers?")

Remember when your children were learning to walk?  I know when my daughter fell over and over, I didn't groan and say, "Goldie, you keep falling!  When are you ever going to get this right?"

No, I got excited that she was trying to take those first trembling steps towards me.  And so when she fell, I scooped her up and wiped away her tears.  I gently reassured her, "Goldie, I love you!  I know you can do this!  It's hard, but I will be right here whenever you fall."  And then I willingly (and proudly) held her hand for as long as she needed me while she practiced her steps.


Wouldn't our Heavenly Father also get excited when we are trying to take our own trembling steps towards Him?  If we opened our hearts, wouldn't we also feel His gentle reassurance: "My beloved daughter, I love you!  I know you can do this!  It's hard, but I will be right here whenever you fall."

As parents, we experience firsthand a little of how our Heavenly Father would respond each time we fall.  We experience firsthand a little of the depth of love He feels for us.

So perhaps "the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children" in part because it is the perfect classroom.  The perfect classroom to teach us about Him.







Laura is the much-loved wife of Doc, and the sometimes-crazy mom to 3 sweet, mischievous kids. She is challenged every day by them to be a better person. She is grateful for that and thank the Lord every day for the miracles that all 4 of them are. Laura blogs about the challenge to be more than we are – while being satisfied with who we are now – over at Living a Big Story.

Thank you Laura, what a great start to our celebration.  Please leave some comment love in the comments section, or go visit her blog.  Grab a button, spread the word, join the celebration by commenting, if you can't comment, please feel free to email me your thoughts.   Check out the other amazing blogs that are participating, they also have some wonderful posts. 
Cocoa at Chocolate on my Cranium
Jocelyn at We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ
Shannon at The Redheaded Hostess   




 


Now a prize...Want a chance to win?



This beautiful 11x14 print from theprintboutique has the major points of The Family: A Proclamation to the World put in graphic form. The colors can be customized to fit your décor. All prints are printed on e-surface photographic quality paper with archival inks and a matte finish.

The Print Boutique is offering all of you a 15% discount for the next two weeks! Just enter code 'celebratefamily' without the quote marks into the code box upon checkout.

44 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for giving me a chance to participate in this celebration! I have loved the refocus it has given me.

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Laura, you always have something so amazing to share! Thanks for the thought-provoking post.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

So true...so true!

Carrie said...

Wonderful post! What a great perspective-isn't it amazing the things that we learn by parenting?

Our Household said...

Thank you so much for all the hard work you all have put into this celebration.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. Parenting gives us new eyes and a new relating to our Heavenly Parents.

Tracy said...

Laura, I love your observations about "learning the language." Really made me think about things. Thanks!

Lindsey Cortes said...

I really like your story about your son. Its a good analogy on Heavenly Father hearing us.

Danielle said...

I love this analogy. I've never thought about prayer like that. Loving this celebration!

Jamie said...

I've seen your picture and comments on a few blogs I visit, but never followed you over to your site. I'm so glad I followed the link here today! Thanks for sharing, I'm loving the whole idea of celebrating the family this way.

Silver Strands said...

What a wonderful message! So glad I found you.

Lynn said...

I love this celebration of the family you are doing, Jamie!. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights Laura!

jeanine said...

This was wonderful. Thanks!

Montserrat said...

"I haven't learned the language He speaks well enough." Oh how I love that line! Laura, your insight on this section was perfect.

Evamarie said...

What a wonderful post thanks for sharing.

McMullin's said...

Laura thanks for the wonderful post. I loved the story and as new to the parenting thing. I can already testify of this too that it is really the perfect classroom. In the short 6 months I have been a mom I have learned so much.

Becky Rose said...

I'm a first on this blog, thanks to those other 3 that I'm very familiar with. Thanks for doing this too!

Stacey said...

First time on your blog! I love it Thanks for sharing!

Becky L. said...

I've only just discovered your blog (from the redheaded hostess), but I love what I've read so far! :)

Wendy said...

I relate quite well with statements about prayer. I've spoken in church 3 times since I've married. Twice the topic has been prayers. I guess Heavenly Father was giving me a nudge through priesthood leaders!

Cheers for marriage and babies later in life!

Heather said...

Hey Laura, I didn't know you would be guest posting too! :) Nice to see you here :)
~Heather

Stuart and Kimber said...

Thanks for the great post.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your thoughts on our relationship with our children and how it compares to Heavenly Father's relationship to us.

Joy said...

This really hits home with me today. I feel I haven't been the kind loving mother I know I should be and this post really is what I needed to hear. Thank you!

macylee347 said...

Loved the post. Being a mom defiantly gives you a new perspective on things. I have only been a mom for 8 months now and never knew I could love this much. It amazes me that God loves us even more.

Kristin said...

I really appreciated your analogy of the baby in the crib and prayers. I had an "A-ha" moment. I am LOVING this blog hopping so far! What a great thing you are all doing!! Thank you for lifting us and inspiring us to do and be better!

lybbertgirl said...

I never thought of it in those terms before, but it makes perfect sense to me now. Thank you for helping me have a better understanding.

Tracy said...

I love when our children teach us about the eternal relationship we each have with our Heavenly Father. Thank you for sharing these experiences and thoughts!

Cheryl said...

This was great. I had a moment like that a while ago when I was watching my little girl try to climb into a chair. I was going to help her up but then sat back instead. When she did it herself she was so proud. I had a moment like yours where I suddenly saw her the way Heavenly Father sees us... with our struggles.

crissy // mama boss said...

Oh, I just love Laura! What a lovely post!

Julie Lybbert said...

Thank you Laura. I love the sweet simplicity of this post.

Cassi :) said...

Your line about His language was really good! Thank you!!

Jocelyn said...

Beautiful post! What a great reminder.

Cardon Times said...

Beautifully said!

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Loved this post! What a perfect analogy! All of us are learning the language Heavenly Father speaks. And all of us are taking our baby steps towards him. The trick is not to get discouraged!

Christine said...

I am loving the celebration on families! I am grateful for the knowledge that families are forever and that we need to do our part here to make our families strong so that we can live together forever in the eternities. You have a wonderful site thank-you for sharing your thoughts on families.

Marcina said...

I have had these same thoughts! Heavenly Father's plan is wondrous!

Unknown said...

Wow... I needed that! Thank you for sharing. Today I feel like I fell flat on my face so now I need to get up and try again :)

Sea Star said...

I have often felt like this job as parent was to teach me more about Heavenly Father. He feels for me like I feel for my children. It is a great reminder. Thanks!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Loved this post! I have such a faith the our Father in Heaven wants whats best for us. I just tend to forget that when I'm in the middle of a trial.

And such sweet pictures!

kam said...

Loved the post. Thank you!

Christi Williams said...

It is true we need to be more aware of what we are doing. We as mothers (me) can just get so busy with life and we lose sight. Thank you for being apart of Celebrate Family 2011.

Handsfullmom said...

I love your examples -- this WAS perfect! I, too, have complete faith that God will answer your prayers and my neighbor's prayers and my best friend's prayers, but sometimes wonder if He really will answer MINE.

Cassifrass said...

I love the story of "Buddy". It helps me realize that the Lord is listening but sometimes we may just have to wait and be patient.