So, I just picked a whole pile of Rhubarb and Gooseberries. What on earth do you do with so much fruit (especially if you already have a tonne frozen and dried)? Make jam of course, even though I also have a tonne of that! :) Jam is multi purpose though and can be used so many ways. I thought that I would do a very basic guide through here (it is going in my cookbook that I am assembling, so I thought you might like it too) with some very basic recipes with fruit that is in season right now here. I will try to put a few different canning recipes as I make them this next few months.
So, what do we need to start with jam?
Here is a photo of the very basic stuff you need for very basic jam:
Starting from top left:
- Big measuring cup (mine is from Pampered Chef and I use it for EVERYTHING!)
- Flat bottomed wooden spoon (for scraping the bottom)
- Big knife (chef type)
- Ladle (I like this one because it hangs off the side of the pan when not in use)
- Jar filling funnel (comes in a pack from Bernardin)
- BIG cutting board (mine is well loved!)
- Stock pot (and because I seem to find it impossible to just make ONE batch, mine is big enough to make 4 batches of jam!)
Sorry the photo will not rotate!
- Jars (I like the half pint size for jam, we have a big family)
- Snaps (I use new ones for each time I use the jar)
- Twist Lids (or Rings)
- Fruit!
Here is my beautiful Rhubarb. Cut or crush or prepare your fruit according to the recipe you are following. (or pretending to follow like me!)
This is the way I "crush" fruit or veggies! My son (who is 6) loves this job, and it is a great way to involve your kids. It is also a great way to "dice" large quantities of fruit or veggies!
OK, here are a couple recipes for you:
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam (cooked)
2 Cups Strawberries, crushed
1 1/2 Cups Rhubarb, chopped into small pieces
6 1/2 C Sugar
Place in your stock pot and stir up. It will look like this:
Bring to boil over high heat. (it will take about 20 min or so) Stirring once in a while so it doesn't burn.
Boil hard for 1 min. (that is when the boil can't be stirred down)
Remove from heat and stir in 1 package of liquid Certo (I always use liquid, it is a preference).
Stir and skim for 5 min to prevent floating fruit. (mine always floats, but I do as it says!) Ladle into jars.
***now here is my lazy coming through. You are supposed to have HOT jars and HOT snaps....I never do, but you will have followed the canning directions if you do. :)***
Clean the tops of the jars with clean cloth. Wipe well so there is no jam or fruit on the rim. Place snaps and twist lids on your jars. Twist to finger tight (that means don't twist totally tight and break the jar...just tighten till it is nicely tight).
***another lazy thing for me here...this is the point you can hot water bath your jam. I don't unless they don't seal. You can process jam for 5 min a boiling water bath if you want to. It makes it last about 6 months longer, and is safer I guess.***
Place on your counter and admire them. As they cool they will "snap" and it will sound so great...and satisfying because all that work just turned into well preserved jam!
I would keep your jam on your counter undisturbed for about 24 hours so that it sets nice.
Isn't it pretty?!
Here are a couple more recipes:
Rhubarb Jam (cooked)
3 Cups Rhubarb
3/4 Cup Water
5 1/2 Cups Sugar
Bring to a boil over high heat in your stock pot.
Boil hard for 1 min.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 package of Liquid Certo. Stir and skim for 5 min.
Ladle into clean jars. Cover with snaps and rings. Process if you wish for 5 min in a boiling water bath. Let set for 24 hours on your counter. (see above for more detailed instructions)
Ginger Gooseberry Jam (cooked)
3 Cups Gooseberries (remove blossom ends and stems)
Water to cover berries
3 Cups Sugar
4 pieces of Ginger, cut into coins
Place Berries in your stock pot, cover with water. Bring to a simmer. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Add Ginger. Remove from heat.
(you could add 1 package of Liquid Certo and stir and skim for 5 min, or do the alternate version below)
Let cool. Refrigerate overnight.
Remove ginger and bring to a boil. Boil until reaches the "gel stage" about 20 min. (or 228F)
Ladle into jars. Tighten till finger tight. You can choose to process for 5 min in hot water bath here. Let set for 24 hours on your counter.
If you have questions, feel free to ask. (canning is so hard for me to actually write a recipe for as I often don't really have one, year to year my canning tastes different depending on what I have in my garden!)
Gooseberry jam here
Enjoy and Cheers
1 comment:
Okay. I really, really love rhubarb, and these recipes look amazing. If only I were a better cook! I'll have to try my hand anyway...with supervision.
Post a Comment