Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ginger Gooseberry Jelly

Here is another example of taking the shortcut while canning!  :) 

I was going to make gooseberry jam.  I had all the berries all nicely soaking in the water, then I was pulling off the stems and blossems...this is TEADIOUS!  Lazy Jaime came out and to the rescue, so now I have a new jelly recipe I made up just for me.  :)

If you try it, let me know how you like it.
Ginger Gooseberry Jelly

Place your gooseberries in a stockpot with water to cover.  Over medium high heat, simmer gently for about 15 min until all the berries are popped and sort of mushy.  Stir once in a while so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan.


When they are done, grab a large measureing cup (it needs to be larger than 4 cups) and sieve your juice and berries into the meaure.  I use my ricer, but a folley food mill would work as well.  This gets the pulp and the juice, but the skin, stems and bits are left behind!   (see lazy, but effective!)


Measure to 4 cups.  If you are missing a bit, add water to make it to 4 cups.

In your glass canning jars, add a "coin" of ginger.  Peel and cut to add to the bottom. 


Bring your juice/pulp mixture, and 7 1/2 Cups Sugar to a boil and boil hard for 1 min.  Remove from heat and stir in 1 package of liquid Certo.  Stir and skim for 5 min. 

Ladle into your jars.  Place your snap on and screw your tops on finger tight.  If you wish, process in hot water bath for 5 min.

Admire


If you need more information on the details of making jam, I did a jam basics post here.  Enjoy!

Also, if you want a few cute stickers for the tops, on my pintrest I pinned a few.  (if you want an invite to pintrest, because you have to be invited, let me know and I will send you off an invite!)

Cheers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I need to be you when I grown up. Really!

Carrie said...

Yum!!! You should rent your self out to go to peoples house and help domesticate them. I would be your first customer for sure!