Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Book Talk Tuesday - Cloaked


By Alex Flinn

Johnny is just your average guy.  His family have been cobblers (and not the dessert) since his grandfather.  He wants to become a shoe designer, but his family is poor. 

When Johnny discovers that there are prince's that get turned into frogs, there are giants and yes, even talking animals.  His whole world changes.

He discovers that even average people can be heroes and they can fall in love.

This book was one of the better ones I have read from this author.  I read "Beastly" as the first book I read and was extremely disappointed in the language and subject.  When the movie was released as only PG, I rented it thinking it would be better than the book.  Not so. 

The next book I read was "A Kiss in Time" and enjoyed it, but there were still issues I had with it.

This book has none of the issues I have had with the other two books.  The story is appropriate to his age.  The language is not vulgar.  The issues faced by the two 17 year old main characters while a bit unbelievable (what with the magic and whatnot) are age appropriate.  I quite enjoyed this little read.

I think the best age would be 14 and up.  The books seem to be all written with a boys perspective, so I think both teen girls and boys would enjoy reading them.

Cheers

1 comment:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Thanks for the recommend, it looks like a good read :) I'm still working on Leven Thumps....