By Brandon Mull
This next post is written by a friend of mines daughter. This is Eve.
Kendra and Seth Sorensen are visiting their Grandparent’s estate in Connecticut following the deaths of their other set of Grandparents, but something isn’t quite right. Kendra and Seth soon discover that the estate is actually a refuge, a preserve for magical and mythical creatures. The preserve is called Fablehaven and is home to satyrs, fairies, nymphs, trolls, dragons, and every other kind of creature imaginable. But it is also home to evil demons. Grandpa Sorensen is the caretaker of the preserve, and there are rules that govern it. Those rules get broken, boundaries are crossed, and Kendra and Seth find themselves caught in the middle of an evil plot to kill them, destroy the preserve, and maybe even the world.
The Fablehaven series is made up of 5 books, each one several hundred pages long. It is an action packed, humorous, fantastical series with characters you can relate to.
I think the best audience for these books is from age 11+. Any younger than that, and the books are just too long for most kids. But it is definitely a story that both girls and boys can enjoy. I have several friends, girls and boys, that like these books. I think part of that fact is because some of the chapters are narrated by a boy, and some by a girl.
Another good thing about the series is that they are pretty popular, so you can find them pretty much anywhere teen books are sold, and at most libraries. However, since the series has about 2,400 pages all together, it can take quite a while to read, 1-2 weeks at least. But, for me anyway, they are worth it.
The story is very well organized and put together, if a little confusing at times because there is so much going on.
Fablehaven was recommended to me by my uncle, who was then in his early 20’s. I have read the series a couple of times over the last few years, and I will definitely read them again. Each time you read, they are just as exciting as the first time.
Eve is a 15 year old farm girl who loves to read! Other interests include cooking and baking, driving tractors on the farm to rake hay in the summer, and playing the piano.
PS. Here is a wonderful site from Brandon Mull that I found when my boys did the first book in the series for English. There are some fun interactive games and quizzes for everyone.
As always, if your son/daughter is interested in writing a post for me please contact me at kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom.
Cheers

4 comments:
I have a nephew who loves these books. He got to introduce Brandon Mull to the school when he went there for a visit! One day, I will sit down and read them!
I've heard these are classics. Good choice for Book Talk Tuesday.
I loved all of these books. Kyle read them too and couldn't put them down/ I love that it's a series that Halle and all of my boys will enjoy.
I LOVE THESE BOOKS!! I havent read the last one yet but can't wait until I can get a hold of the last one!
Post a Comment