Last night I had the dubious blessing of sitting in the ER with my poor son. He seems to get croup (sp?) fairly easily. When it gets bad, we are in the ER for steroids and drugs of assorted varieties. So, in honor of the sick season, I thought I would share some of the recipes I have been collecting for my season of sick!
1. These "herbsicles" were on my list yesterday, but the tea got slurped up so quick I didn't have any left to freeze. We shall try again today!
2&3. I would love to make my own "Vicks". We go through a fair amount of it here, and if I could have a rub that was easy to make and full of stuff I actually knew about...
Well, here are two recipes. Here and Here.
4. When my boys were younger they really liked cough syrup...NOT! These little suckers would have really come in handy. I love that they look like a treat, but will help your poor little one feel a bit better.
5. This is a YouTube video that will not let me embed, so you will have to go over and check it out. In it is how to make a homemade cough syrup. Looks interesting. I am not sure if I am brave enough to make it, so let me know if you do, or if you make some different stuff your family uses!
So, keep well and warm (it is -37C today with the windchill here).
Cheers



4 comments:
When my munchkins got the croup I put a humidifier in their room with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. And let them sleep and sleep some more. I also try to keep on hand Recharge. It's an electrolyte replacer sans sugars and corn syrups like Gatorade. If they are puke-y and nothing will stay down - Recharge always has! Hope your little man feels better soon. I'm assuming you know that if he starts hacking and sounding bad just wrap him up and let him sit outside for awhile. The cold will help a ton! Good luck!
We use the humidifier/eucalyptus too. Cool video. We make our own cough syrup, but with honey and thyme or honey and onion. "Antiplague" works pretty well too if you can get it down, haha. I'm LOVING the sucker idea! Gonna have to try some...
I hope he feels better soon! Nothing is worse than a sick child. L got it when he was 3 months old and I would run him to the hospital because he would have a hard time breathing. By the time I got him there he was breathing just fine. The cold air did wonders for him!
Thanks for the lists! I love home remedys!
Jake used to get the croup too-it is no fun! Love all the recipes and ideas. We had a week of coughing and low fevers here last week....Tis the season!
Post a Comment