So after all of this, I have been thinking on the classics.
I struggle.
I know I read alot, but I have never read the classics. *Gasp* You read that right, I have not read the classics. Most of them are interesting to me, but I have never read them.
When I was browsing in the book store the other day, I found these little books. They are called Real Reads.
Short little books that take about an hour (for my reader, my non reader it takes a couple hours) to read.
I just read Pride and Prejudice. While it is super short, the major plot details are there.
In the back of the book there is a little summary with questions about the book. For example, "Look up pride and prejudice in the dictionary. See if you can find examples of charactors' actions resulting from their pride or prejudice."
There are also lists of books and websites.
I think that if you haven't read the classics, these are a great place to start if you want a short little introduction to them. (if you can't find them at your local book store, here is a website you can check them out)
Cheers
1 comment:
Very cool! We found something similar called "Classics for Kids". They take a little longer to read than one hour but other than that it sounds like the same concept. We read Mobey Dick and Black Beauty this way. We have a bunch more we are going to start back with after Thanksgiving break is over (the best part is we got a few of them at a yard sale for $0.50 each!) and do a book review/report a week before Christmas). I am getting hooked on the classics! I read Pride and Prejudice (the orginal-not a classic for kids...I wouldn't torture poor Jake with such a girlie book :) ) and LOVED it. I am actually reading another Jane Austin right now called "Persuasion" (I gave up on Tom Sawyer for now...We have the kids version of that so I am going to read that when Jake does. It is definitely a boy book.). I watched the movie (missed the beginning so I didn't know who wrote it or what book it was based on) on PBS Masterpiece Classics and was 99% sure it was based on an Austin book and was right! If you love one of her books I found you will love all of them. The best part is most classics are free on Kindle. :) I know you are a regular book person, but I am telling you-you would LOVE a Kindle! I have a great list of classics to read if you get more interested. I read my first classic (besides the scriptures of course) for the first time this year and haven't read much else since! We look at classics a little differently than most people do though. In our house a classic is any book you read over again. We are making our own classics list! Enough of my rambling!!!!
Post a Comment