Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Book Talk Tuesday - In Defense of Food
By Michael Pollan
I was walking through my library and found this intriguing looking book. I like to read or watch things about the way we eat, and this one seemed right up my alley.
The whole title says, "In defense of food - an eater's manifesto". I was interested in seeing where the author went with it, especially after I read a little more. He states in a few places that we should, "Eat food, Not too much, Mostly plants"
The whole book revolves around the science of food.
Quoted often are many papers and research studies.
The whole premise is based on the fact that we eat according to nutrients and not food. It has been slowly building up. Packages scream out, "Low Fat", or "100 Calories or less", or "contains calcium", "extra D" or "now containing omega 3's".
I find this whole thing very interesting.
One example he kept using was that of baby formula. At it's inception formula was lacking many things. Each year the scientists discover more things to include and they keep changing it. Interesting how it works.
Another is including Omega 3's into things that it doesn't occur in naturally like eggs.
He uses the example of Margarine. You want less fat, done. You want vitamins, done. You want omega 3's, done.
So many interesting examples and so many tidbits of science and food fact. I enjoyed reading it all.
After studying the Word of Wisdom for a few years, I have found that my eating habits have changed, but I was so worried I was not getting enough of some of the nutrients that my body requires. (mainly protein as we have cut WAY down on our meat consumption)
I would love to eat food that is real. Food that I have grown with my own two hands, food that contains no artificial things (hormones, pesticides, etc), food that I can follow from start (the ground or the animal) to the finish (my plate).
This book was so enlightening. (I gave it back before we moved, so I can't include any quotes) If you would like to read an interesting take on our food system and how we eat, this is a great thought provoking read.
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds interesting! It creeps me out when they add stuff to things that don't need stuff added to it...I wish we would cut back on meat but my guys would think I was crazy if I cooked dinner that had no dead animal involved. :)
Post a Comment