This year my oldest in in Grade 7! Seriously. Where did my baby go?!
We also switched school boards so that we had a bit more freedom to choose what we taught to fit into the Alberta Ed requirements. We still need to cover everything, we just now get to choose HOW we cover it.
As a result I have been reading a few books that I thought might fit into his English book reading. I printed off several "recommended" reading lists. I struggle with many that they say are good reading. I wanted to know that the book I was handing him was a good book.
Here is one he is reading this year.
By: L.J. Adlington
Toni V is digging in the Plaza on his demolition crew, when he finds a water container, buried under the cement. It is not empty, but contains a diary, strange to find in a water container. When he sees the paper that is wrapped around the diary and the words it contains, "Dig - Dig Everywhere", he is intrigued. Thus begins his journey into the life of Pelly - D.
Another Distopian novel. I quite enjoyed this one as well.
Toni is not as well "fleshed out" as Pelly - D, but he is a valid part of the story.
As Toni reads about Pelly - D's life, he realizes that his life comes with a cost and he starts to question some fundamentals of it.
I like the topics that this book raises. There are some really interesting topics for discussion and parallels to our life in this book.
There is no language (and no substitute words), very little violence, no sex. Great book as far as the "big 3"!
I will be using this one with my 7th Grader this year. I think both boys and girls will enjoy the book, and I think it would be best for Grade 7 and up.
Cheers

5 comments:
I've had "Matched" on hold at the library for months. This past week it was available. When I was checking it out, anticipating a nice weekend of reading, I got the distinct impression that this book was not to be read. I gave it back and told them to let the next person have it. Of course the librarian warned me that it wouldn't be available for months to come. I don't think I'll ever read it.
I'm glad it lacks the sex, violence and language you wish to avoid but it begs the question: what does it have that is desirable? Is it enough to read books that "lack" the big 3?
Amy,
As a young adult/young mother I read EVERYTHING I could get ahold of, appropriate or not. I didn't ever act on inspiration that I may have recieved and read whatever I could get ahold of.
I like to think that I have matured past that somewhat, and while I recieve my own inspiration (the ammount of times that similar things have happened as your story above are amazing), I did not get the same prompting as you did.
What a blessing the Holy Ghost is to us!
While I understand that not everything I review on this blog is for everyone, my purpose is to give alternatives to reading some of the most popular literature.
I am by no means perfect, and I will probably review something that others do not want to read. I appreciate your views on this book.
I would love it if everyone would weigh in with their opinions as well. Because as stated before, I am not perfect, I am still on my path to becoming more rightous.
I still maintain that for some this book contains valid issues to read about. BUT for those who have been prompted differently, then by all means, do not read it.
(I am still recovering from reading the Hunger Games and skipping over the Twilight/Harry Potter mania...)
We enjoyed Matched here as well. I agree that boys might not enjoy it as much.
I will have to look up your other recommendation. We are always looking for books to read.
I didn't mean to indicate that Matched is not a book to be read by anyone. I was hoping your review would shed details on why it is worth reading.
Your review seemed to focused on all that it lacked but didn't point out anything that would draw a person to read it. I still don't really know what you loved about it. I simply wished to point out that reading things because of what they lack rather than reading for what they contain (and thus what will become a part of us) is, perhaps, worth considering.
I was attracted to the book as well for what it lacked. But in not reading it I came to wonder what it contained that would or would not be of value to the person I seek to become.
Amy, In brief poin form some of the issues/topics I enjoyed from the book:
Family support - the family is very close and supports through some troubling time. (this is so rare in books now)
Love of Granparents/older generation respect - not everyone feels that the Elderly are worth time and effort, this family takes time to visit and love their elderly. They learn many valuable things from him.
Free Agency - There are many instances where the agency has been taken away, the main charactor struggels with the choices she has taken away and tries to make good choices.
Healthy Relationships - many times I am discouraged by the lack of respect paid to sex, gender roles, familial roles, etc...this book writes traditional roles and makes them healthy.
There are more, but without giving away major plot points to everyone, I hope this answers your question. Thank you again for your comment. I appreciate the question and hope you will continue to question and comment.
Post a Comment