I am so excited to be writing this blog post for Jaime today. I’m also really nervous and very humbled. I have been given the section of the Proclamation stating
"The Family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity."
I love this statement. If there is one thing in this life that I value above all else it is my little family. My husband and children are everything to me. My world basically revolves around them. I have a huge testimony of the previous statement.
Being married has changed me irrevocably. I have learned more about myself in the last 11 and a half years than ever before. I have learned tolerance and patience and how to express love properly. I’ve learned how to put others first and how to try to overcome being selfish. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to spend eternity with this man (even on days when he drives me a little nutty!) and that he chose to spend it with me.
Being married has changed me irrevocably. I have learned more about myself in the last 11 and a half years than ever before. I have learned tolerance and patience and how to express love properly. I’ve learned how to put others first and how to try to overcome being selfish. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to spend eternity with this man (even on days when he drives me a little nutty!) and that he chose to spend it with me.
I also have a huge testimony of children being born “within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity.” I could not do what I do without the knowledge that I have my husband to help me with things. I am so grateful to have his support and love when dealing with our children. I think that a child deserves to have two parents to love and raise him. I know that not all situations are ideal.
When I was 8 years old my father passed away leaving my mother to raise three kids ages 8, 6, and 4. It was very difficult for her, looking back now that I am a parent I realize how truly amazing a feat she accomplished. She had to be mother and father to us as well as bread-winner. I think that she is incredibly strong to have raised us so well.
Growing up the way I did has led me to appreciate even more the blessing I have of having a father and priesthood holder in my home. I have also in my short experience with marriage and children have dealt with having my husband work away from home for two weeks at a time. It was an extremely hard time for us. I was at home with my kids who at the time were 8, 6, 19 months, and 2 months alone. I experienced what the life of a single mother is, and I can tell you that for me it was not pretty.
Having my husband home at the end of every day made all the difference in the world. Having the knowledge that he was coming home and I was going to have someone to talk to and give me some perspective on minor daily issues, having help with our amazing, yet sometimes out of control children. I think that all children need two parents where possible if only to give them a break from mom!!!
When I was 8 years old my father passed away leaving my mother to raise three kids ages 8, 6, and 4. It was very difficult for her, looking back now that I am a parent I realize how truly amazing a feat she accomplished. She had to be mother and father to us as well as bread-winner. I think that she is incredibly strong to have raised us so well.
Growing up the way I did has led me to appreciate even more the blessing I have of having a father and priesthood holder in my home. I have also in my short experience with marriage and children have dealt with having my husband work away from home for two weeks at a time. It was an extremely hard time for us. I was at home with my kids who at the time were 8, 6, 19 months, and 2 months alone. I experienced what the life of a single mother is, and I can tell you that for me it was not pretty.
Having my husband home at the end of every day made all the difference in the world. Having the knowledge that he was coming home and I was going to have someone to talk to and give me some perspective on minor daily issues, having help with our amazing, yet sometimes out of control children. I think that all children need two parents where possible if only to give them a break from mom!!!
Fidelity in marriage is also so important to me. Throughout my entire life I have struggled with low self esteem. It didn’t end when I got married but it has improved by leaps and bounds since I got married.
I am so blessed to have the knowledge that I have someone who loves me unconditionally and will always be there for me has honestly changed my life. I feel more confident and self-assured. I feel like I am worth so much and that all comes form the knowledge that my husband loves me and is faithful to me, through thick and thin, pregnancy, weight gain, grouchiness, postpartum depression, overtiredness, illness, and anything else that life throws at us. My children can feel the love that their dad has for me and hopefully they will seek out a partner of their own someday who loves them that much.
I have a testimony of this Proclamation. Family is the greatest accomplishment you have in this life. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have been given to have a family.I am so blessed to have the knowledge that I have someone who loves me unconditionally and will always be there for me has honestly changed my life. I feel more confident and self-assured. I feel like I am worth so much and that all comes form the knowledge that my husband loves me and is faithful to me, through thick and thin, pregnancy, weight gain, grouchiness, postpartum depression, overtiredness, illness, and anything else that life throws at us. My children can feel the love that their dad has for me and hopefully they will seek out a partner of their own someday who loves them that much.
My name is Connie and I am a wife and mother of 1 daughter who is 10, and 3 sons aged 7(almost 8), 4 and 2.5. They make me laugh and occasionally make me feel like I’m losing my mind. They have taught me more that I ever thought possible and make me say things that I never thought I would find myself saying. I blog very infrequently over at Holladay Happenings.
I am constantly loving these posts that are here. Thank you Connie for yours. Make sure you stop by the other three blogs and check out all the insights and ideas there as well.
********
Today's prize is...
FreshlyPainted is sponsoring this completely original painting of the Salt Lake Temple Doorknob with the words, "Holiness to the Lord". Have you ever spent time to look at the doorknobs at the Temple? They are very beautiful and unique. One can't help but think of the early pioneers and the dedication and love they had for the Salt Lake Temple when you look at all the beautiful details all over. This magnet measures 2.5'' x 3.5''. Visit FreshlyPainted for more original freshly painted works of art!
Hank Smith, the guest blogger at The Red Headed Hostess today, is also giving away 3 copies of his CD, The Do’s and Don’ts of Dating. Drawing on some hilarious experiences from his own dating years, poignant stories of others, and the wise counsel of the prophets and other Church leaders, Brother Smith shares an important message that youth will relate to and appreciate.
********



11 comments:
I agree. I think that while all families can't have that 'ideal' it is something to strive and hope for.
I appreciate what you have posted, very much. Thanks!
Thanks for the post!
http://freshlycompleted.blogspot.com/
Like Connie, my world revolves around my husband and my children (3 daughters and 1 son), and I wouldn't have it any other way! What a great blessing to have the understanding and testimony that a family IS ordained of God. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful testimony of your divine role as a wife and mother :)
Beautiful post. I also have been a single mom at times while DH is away at work and it brings new appreciation for having 2 parents in the home
Thank you for the wonderful thoughts. It is such a blessing to have The Proclamation guide us. It is so important to be reared by two parents. When my husband has to be gone for extended times we try to make sure we continue to talk and pray over each of the children, and he makes every effort to talk to each of the children individually as well. It's easy when you are separated for months at a time to just take over both rolls, but The Proclamation reminds us of the way Heavenly Father would have us parent.
I enjoyed reading all of this post! You broke down each part of that phrase from the Proclamation and applied it. Great job.
I really appreciate this post today. Thanks!!
I love how a lot of the proclamation is things we have in our lives but often lose sight of. Thanks for the reminder!
Great post. Thank you! :)
I know all families can't be ideal but I do know there are such great benefits to having a mom and a dad. I'm so grateful for modern day inspiration!
Post a Comment