Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Little Misc - Including a Book Talk (sort of)

I am still feeling a little out of it lately.  Vacation does that to me I guess...

My son's #1 and #3 have their birthdays tomorrow and son #1 gets ordained to the office of deacon in the Priesthood on Sunday so I feel a bit out of it still.  (but in a good way)  So, as a result, you get a mish mash of stuff cluttering my brain (or as Carrie calls it, a brain de-clutter) for this post.  :)

The other day I was walking through Costco's book section and found these beautiful books.  (dh makes fun of me because every time we go to Costco I walk through the book section!)  They were a decent price and they are huge...in every way!


Chock full of really interesting information they are!  I am about halfway through the "Country Wisdom" book and am loving all the tips.  Each section is amazingly detailed with stuff that I didn't even know I needed.  Example, the chicken section has information on raising chickens, but they also have plans on how to build a coop, tips on how to kill and preserve a chicken, along with plans for a killing cone and why it might just be the most humane way to kill a chicken.  It has been really interesting reading and I am loving all the stuff I am learning from them. 

On our way home from Calgary (the city we flew into from our DW vacation) we stopped in a shop we love.  Bass Pro Shop is amazing!  They have almost everything a camper/hiker/hunter/fisher/preparedness freak could want all under one roof!  We bought Dh's first gun there and he needed to take it back to get repaired.  While we were there I finally found MY gun!


It is a .22 semi auto Pink Pinkster!  :)   I wanted a gun that was build for smaller people and had less kick.  I wanted to be able to shoot and not have a bruise after!  This gun fits the bill...and it's PINK!  I was thrilled to buy my gun finally and take it home.  The guns themselves love to live in their little locked up cages until we take them out to shoot!  :)

With us being done school (we finished up everything including testing before we took off for vacation) the boys are getting restless.  I was scouring the net for stuff to do, and collecting all the ideas that we have loved before, to put in our list of stuff to do this year.  I wanted to pull out my summer fun chart, but am unable to place holes in our wall for it (stinkin rental!) so I put it all on a paper and in a really cheap frame.  The boys will just cross off (with an erasable marker) the ones they are done and then know what they have left.  I told them they could only do one per day.


If you want a copy of my list, just email me and I would be happy to pass one on to you.  (kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom)

So the other night dh and I actually broke down and went to a movie.  I wanted some licorice to eat while we were watching it, so I asked for some BLACK licorice.  I love it!  Apparently the theater doesn't sell it because (according to the young man at the counter), "only old ladies like to eat it."  OK, I guess I am an old lady because I LOVE black licorice!  So, I had to go and buy some...let me tell you, it is hard to find!


I only have about a half pack left!

My son is turning 12 tomorrow.  This scares the CRAP out of me...he is not my baby anymore!  He is also getting ordained as a Deacon on Sunday.  This is also crazy to me.  He is also going on camp for a week in July.  My baby is going on camp for a week without his mom or dad...for a week people, a week!

So, we went and got all his supplies that we didn't have already (lucky we are campers and it was not alot!).  While we were in Canadian Tire I picked up a package of these glow sticks.  I wanted to see if they really were good, or at least justfied the price you pay for them.  ($14 per pack of 8)


Being the kind of girl I am, I came home and broke into the package right away.  6pm is early for a glow stick, but I snapped it and shook it.  When it finally got dark just after 10pm it was still kicking out LOTS of light.  Almost like a flashlight.  48 hours later it was glowing just like the cheap little glow sticks that I buy at Michael's Craft store.  To say I was amazed is an understatement.  I am going to pick up a few more to keep in my preparedness stuff.  It was great!

I think that's it for me.  I have a few recipes I am trying out, a few different activities I am going to do with the boys and whatnot, so I hope to be back to my regular blogging soon.

Cheers

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I saw a pink gun at Walmart one day and told my husband I wanted it. It isn't as cute as the one you got though. The one I saw only had a little pink on it.
I don't know if I can handle sending my son to Scout camp for a week..Luckily I have a little over 2 years to prepare myself because it is coming up!!!
I would love you list. Sounds like a great idea. :) Isn't brain decluttering fun? If I didn't just let it all out every now and then (about once a week it seems...) I would be clinically insane, I am sure of it. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats, Momma!

Cassi :) said...

that gun is SO COOL! (And you will just be darling totin' it! ;)

My MIL brought me the Country Wisdom book a couple months ago. Then I saw them in Costco, are the other ones good? Worth it?