Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Book Talk Tuesday - Museum of Thieves and The Goddess Test (mini reviews)
Golden runs away during an aborted separation day. She is already feeling a little lost and afraid, as she has never had to be on her own before, when she finds herself in a museum. This museum is unlike any other as it contains "extinct" animals and the rooms move and have emotions. As Goldie tries to make a new life, she realizes the museum needs a keeper, and she needs to resolve some issues in her past.
I enjoyed this book. It was a really easy, quick read. The adventure is non-stop and written with depth. The characters are ones you want to get to know.
I think that children grade 3 and up would enjoy this book best. The main character is a girl of 12, but there is a boy that is pretty central in the story as well at about the same age. There are bits of humor and little lessons to learn.
Kate's mom is dying and as a last request she wants to return to her hometown of Eden. Kate takes her to Eden knowing that she will die soon. Then Kate meets Henry. He saves a friend from dying and Kate knows he can do the same for her Mom. As the deal is struck, Kate finds out that she is being tested to become a goddess, trick is, each woman before her that has tried has died...11 of them. She is the last.
I really enjoyed the Greek mythology in this book. I read a review about it on this blog (here is her review if you want more discription) and knew I wanted to try it out.
I enjoyed it. There is some discussion of sex obliquely but it is not descriptive. There is quite a bit of discussion about beliefs and Gods and the way people think. It is a great discussion starter into discussing your own beliefs and why you believe the things you do.
Because of the sexual talk, I would recommend this book for older readers (16 and up). Kate is 18 and her life is very grown up. (besides the discussions on marriage and moving into her own house)
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I am going to add Museum of Thieves to our list of books to read. I think Jake would love it. Adventure, extinct animals, great characters-sounds perfect! Thanks for the info. :)
Post a Comment