I have some unusual things in my food storage.
I am pretty addicted to cooking "different" foods. We most certainly do NOT eat like most people, we don't even really have a food we eat more than others...
When our Japanese student lived with us she kept asking, "Is THIS Canadian food?" Poor Nana, she never did get to try "Canadian Food" (whatever that is!)
Anyway, my SIL is from Mexico. Many years ago we discovered a love for Mexican food and I have started to store this in my storage:
I know right?! Weird thing to store for a tall, white, Canadian woman! :)
So anyway, when we went to Mexico a couple years ago I was determined to get one of these:
Super awesome tortilla press! I was thrilled with it.
Anyway, do you know how to make corn tortilla with the above two things? Let me show you...
First you need:
2 Cups Masa
11/4 Cup Warm Water
Mix well until it looks similar to playdough. It will still crumble a bit but stick together when shaped into a ball.
Take a golf ball sized piece and shape into a ball and place on your press between two pieces of plastic wrap. (if you don't have a press you can still roll with rolling pin between two sheets plastic wrap)
Pull the handle evenly so the tortilla is not thicker in any one place.
Place in an ungreased medium hot skillet. Cook until it starts to steam. Flip and cook for a bit longer on the other side. You will need to flip about 4 times.
When it starts to brown on both sides it is done.
Don't forget that they take time so you need some tunes...
When you are done you will have a nice little stack of yummy tortillas!
You can freeze them if you can't use all of them that day. If you make them ahead of time then you can wrap in foil for up to one day.
I will post a few different recipes over the next few weeks using them. We love corn tortillas...much tastier than flour. (says the consensus of my boys)
Cheers
9 comments:
Seriously-you are my hero. Bring on the recipes-I am ready and waiting!!! Do you think you can get the tortilla press some where other than Mexico? I am going to start searching.
...And I am a Bruno Mars fan too. He is so the Rat Pack meets 2011 or something like that! :)..I can't put my finger on it-but I love his sound.
This is FABULOUS! I've wanted to try this, but I've been too intimidate -- but this looks easy!
My BIL said that he keeps popcorn in his food storage, which he then grinds to make corn tortillas -- have you tried that?
(BTW, every time you say you're tall, I do a double take -- for some reason, your pic makes me think you're short ... I don't know why?? Maybe I just want everybody to be my height??)
I bought some masa but never used it. Do you want it? The tortillas look so good! You have way more patience than me!
I have the SAME stuff in my food storage! You are a girl after my own heart. I also love my taco press too.......only it's handmade from wood. I bought it at a Preparedness training about 3 years ago. Love it. That sucker's heavy! lol
YUMMMMM! I also love Bruno Mars!
This looks interesting! I've never tried anything like this before. Thanks for sharing. I can almost smell the yumminess coming from your post. ;)
I can't ever get my corn tortillas to work out...even with my press. (I picked it up at a Latin grocery store in Central Alberta.) I might have to try your recipe.
Oooh, I need one of those! Do they work with just the flour tortillas? I can't ever seem to get mine rolled out enough or even.
Back in the "olden days", ie: 1960's-early 70's. you couldn't purchase pre-made corn tortillas in the northeastern US. Mom developed a love of mexican food when she lived in So. Cal. for a while and so we made our tortillas by hand. They were soooo much better than the preformed store bought 'taco shells' you see nowadays. You've inspired me to start making them by hand again!
Post a Comment