Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Talk Tuesday - The Neil A. Maxwell Quote Book

This is less a review then a recommendation.
I was at my Mom's a couple weeks ago and she asked me if I wanted this book


Of course being the astute person I am, I said "YES!"  By some random twist of fate, she ended up with two and knew I wanted one.

I have to admit, that so far all I have done is flip through and read pieces of it, but I want to share a bit of what I have found.



Every so often in the book there is a beautiful photo that accompanies a quote.  The quotes are wonderful by themselves, but the artwork just makes it that much more sacred.

As I was pondering how I can take more from this book, I knew it would have to be along the same lines as I was thinking with scripture study.  I want to study more deeply, more meaningfully and remember what I have learned.  Have a permanent record of it as well.  Some things are too sacred to share in public so I knew that this blog was out as a place to store it all.  As many of you know, I am a list maker, a person who likes things to be nice and neatly organized for my brain.  I didn't know where to start.

Then I came across this post on Latter-Day Homeschooling by Dana.  She has generously made some scripture journaling pages to place in a 3 ring binder.  She also linked to The Redheaded Hostess.  On her blog there are scores of amazing resources to peruse.  Start here. 

As I was happily downloading things for me, I realized that my children could also benefit from this.  We are starting a new tradition for FHE.  We will be assigning a topic to study out each week on our own and discussing it for FHE each Monday.  I am really excited to see how this works.

I am looking forward to implementing this new way of study as I read and absorb the words of our prophets and our Father and His Son.  I hope that these links may be of some use to you as well.

Cheers

4 comments:

Cassi :) said...

Handing out topics to study on their own? - totally great idea! . . . officially stolen! :)

Connie said...

That sounds like an interesting book. I love the the idea. I'm going to cheek out the journaling pages as well

AllisonK said...

I will have to look into the book! I can't wait to check out the links. Such a lovely idea.

Lynn said...

I got that book for my birthday last year!! I LOVE it!!!

We use it all the time. For study, Family Council, FHE, and lessons we teach at church. And......my son on his mission asks me to send more quotes from it each week with my letter. He loves it too.