This book is a thought provoking read. The main character is struggling with anorexia and cutting herself. When I first read the blurb about the book I was really wondering if I would enjoy it. I didn't want a depressing book about some young girls problems. This book was surprising.
I loved the way it was written. It is a true glimpse into a very troubled mind. We get to follow all of the thought processes and the way she feels. There is discussion about what motivates her and follow her on her very difficult path to recovery.
There is some language in this book.
This book also deals with some disturbing issues, anorexia, cutting and bulimia. Because of that I would recommend this book to an older audience, Grade 9 and up. Very interesting reading, but mature teens.
As I was searching on Amazon on the lists that include "like" reading for books similar to "Hunger Games", I found this book and thought to give it a try.
This book is not like hunger games. :) I did however find it a great read. It was really easy to read, moving at a very swift pace.
The book is based in the future and kids must go to school. The most elite school is "Academy 7". The two main characters are the schools two brightest minds, but also the most troubled.
There is a sweet little romance in the book, and the story is interesting all the way through.
There is some mild language in the book, but altogether it is a very clean book. I would recommend it for ages 14 and up.
I picked up this book just strictly because of the reviews and recommendation from Amazon. I don't usually do that, but I wanted something that my G (age 10) could read now. Superheros are boy things so naturally I ordered this one! :)
I really enjoyed this book. It is a really easy read. It is pretty action packed. All through the book there are little mysteries that keep you hanging. At the end everything is explained, but it keeps you trying to figure it out the whole way through. Superheros are treated as if they are natural. I like how the main character is a regular boy still, even though he has some superpowers.
There are two uses of the Lord's name in vain. If this bothers you, skip the book. There are no other uses of language, but that is in there.
I think that from about Grade 4 and up would enjoy the book. It is only 289 pages so it is a shorter book, and it is written in really easy language.
Great read though and I am passing it on to my G to read.
Cheers
PS...as always, if you want to guest a post for me, I would love it. Contact me at kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom
3 comments:
I think Jake would like the Hero book too. I will have to check it out. I finally finished "Ladie"-it took me over a week to read it-but it was well worth it. I am working through a reading list of classics to prepare for home schooling but I will definitely keep the books you mentioned in mind for future reading. :) I am loving my Kindle. We are debating getting one for Jake for his b-day because he is dying for one now. You are such a avid reader you should check it out. I never thought I would want one-I like paper...But I LOVE it! I can carry a whole library in my purse. Gotta love it!
I want to start incorporating book reviews in my blog ... step by step.
So do you think the Heroes book is emotionally at a 4th grade or just reading level at that grade? Buddy is at maybe 5th grade or so (not sure exactly), but he's in 2nd grade so I have a hard time finding books that are challenging and interesting to him but don't have too heavy of themes for him.
He loved the Wrinkle in Time series, the Chronicles of Narnia series, the 1st couple books of Harry Potter (I won't let him read further), but was terrified by the first Fablehaven.
He devours Star Wars books, but I'm trying to get him some more "good writing" -- so mostly he's been sticking to NF because I just don't know what to have him read.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I just read Academy 7 and really loved it. It was an easy read with a great story. Thanks for the review!
Post a Comment