Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Book Talk Tuesday - Beyonders, A World Without Heroes
By: Brandon Mull
Jason Walker manages to get swallowed by a Hippo. He is just minding his own business, doing his job at the zoo, cleaning out the Hippo enclosure when all of a sudden he hears some music...coming right from the Hippo's mouth! When he leans over to investigate the sounds, he falls into the Hippo's mouth and slides right into Lyrian. Crazy right?!
He tries to find a way home but manages to show just how ignorant of Lyrian he really is. In his search he stumbles upon the Repository of Learning and learns just how imperiled this new world is. Maldor is a wizard that controls the whole world, unjustly if the populace can be believed.
As he continues his search he finds Rachel, another beyonder. As they race to outrun and outwit their pursuers they must rely on each other to make sure they don't perish in this strange new world.
Brandon Mull is a wonderful author. I have really enjoyed all of what he has written. His Candy Shop War was a great stand alone book, his Fablehaven series is amazing and it looks like this new series will be as well. This is the first of three books he has slated for the Beyonders series.
I really enjoy how the books can read as a fun read for younger children, but he uses rather large words that an older reader can appreciate as well. It is a great vocabulary expander. (all of his books are like this, he uses a large vocabulary that add interest in his stories.)
The book is really fast paced as well. The adventures begin right from the start.
He keeps it really clean too. There is absolutely no objectionable material AT ALL in his books. I actually find many wonderful learning and teaching moments in them as well, this book being no exception.
I would think that Grades 5 and up would enjoy the book. If your child is in grade 5, make sure they are a rather advanced reader as the book is long and the words are big.
The next two books come out in the spring of 2012 and spring 2013. I am sad to have to wait for the next ones, but the book is well worth reading. I really enjoyed it. (and it was only $13 at Costco...HARDCOVER!)
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Isn't the guy who wrote this a member of the Church? Maybe not...I have seen Fablehaven at Deseret books so that may be why I automatically assume he is. I saw this book and wondered if Jake would like it. I think we will start with Fablehaven since my niece let us borrow the 1st one it months ago...Maybe by the time he has read those the Beyonders will be easier to read.
I just bought this book at Costco too. I loved his other books and I am excited to read these as well. Yippee for cheap Costco books!
My kids are big readers and we had several people encourage them to read Fablehaven. One of them got the first book at Christmas and they've blown through the whole series. I don't know why it took so long for them to try them.
Hopefully I'll be able to catch up and read them sometime too!
Jamyn got this in her Easter basket - she's been really excited to get her hands on it.
Post a Comment