The Winner of the Narnia book is: Lucky #4 - Jana
Jana is a new commenter for me so I am excited that the Random Generator picked her...Go check out her blog, her family is going to live in an RV...how cool is that?! I would love to hear more about their adventures and I am sure you all would too. Jana, email me and I will get your book to you. Please send me your address information. (kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom)
By Pittacus Lore (a pseudonym for James Frey and Jobie Hughes)
They killed Number One when I was Six. Number Two was killed when I was Eight. When I was Sixteen Number Three was killed. I am next. I am Number Four.
The book opens up with action right away and keeps it coming though the whole book. Non stop.
My dh wanted to watch the movie one night so we went to it. I mostly enjoyed it. There were some aspects of the movie I didn't like, but it was a typical action movie but with a story. (sort of) It was a great piece of mindless entertainment. I thought the book would be the same.
It wasn't.
If it bothered you, as it did me, that the Percy Jackson movie was so completely different than the book (review here) then it will also bother you that the book of I am Number Four is different than the movie. If not, then do both. :)
The book is pretty detailed, telling you what you need to know upfront, which I appreciated. The things that Number Four (John Smith) is going through are not really a mystery, just something he has to learn about. We learn right along with him.
The language is pretty clean. There are two words that are used a couple of times that may be offensive, but it is more in the "aliens don't know how to use our language" type of use.
There is teenage love. There is one scene where there is some pretty intense kissing, but that is all they do.
I think that Grade 5 and up would best appreciate this book. It is lengthy so it would be harder for readers that don't enjoy a longer book. The written style is pretty simple though with relatively easy wording used. It makes for a really enjoyably easy read.
I would really recommend reading this book. The movie wasn't bad, but the book was excellent. I can hardly wait until August when the next book comes out! (The Power of Six)
Cheers
As always, if you want to write a review for Book Talk Tuesday, please let me know. I would love to have some more guest posts. (kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom) Any type book is welcome, YA, Religious, Adult, etc.
2 comments:
I didn't realize that movie was based on a book! I agree that the Percy Jackson was a big let down after the books. I am just glad the Harry Potter movies have turned out so well. :)
I had to leave another comment because if bugs me when it says "1 comments". :)
Post a Comment