Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Book Talk Tuesday - Guest Post - Anne of Green Gables

A few months ago I was "introduced" to Carrie.  She is an amazing woman and I have treasured getting to know her.  When I asked her a couple weeks ago if she would be interested in writing a review for me, she did it right away.  I had read on her blog that she had read the Anne of Green Gables book and I really wanted to know how she felt about it.  So, read on for Carrie.


by: L.M. Montgomery
I am a late bloomer when it comes to reading the classics and I think I found the perfect book to start with! In one of my favorite movies, “You’ve Got Mail”, they discuss the fact that what you read as a child shapes your life as an adult. After reading Anne of Green Gables, I am convinced if I had read it as a child I would have been a much more imaginative, optimistic, and charming person. Those are the words that come to mind when I think of Anne.

Anne has a way of looking at life and noticing all the good there is. Anne was an orphan that was reluctantly adopted by Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, a brother and sister senior pair, who were expecting a boy that would be able to help on the farm from the orphan asylum. A miscommunication sent them the curious and talkative Anne that would change their lives forever in the most amazing ways. The Cuthbert’s were almost ready to send her back to the orphanage in exchange for a boy when Matthew convinced Marilla to bring Anne up properly. Marilla agreed it was her duty to try to reform the little red headed, freckle faced, girl that seemed to always be finding her way into mischief with out even looking for it. Anne won the hearts of all those she came in contact with. Her imagination had helped her through a hard childhood before getting to Green Gables, and continued to be her constant companion. Anne was lucky enough to find a “bosom friend”, in a neighbor girl named Diana, who was lacking in the imagination that Anne had, but would stay loyal just the same.

This book follows her through starting school (where she competes to be the head of the class), all the way through graduating and getting her teaching certificate at the age of 16. Anne shows growth and loyalty when she decides to stay at Green Gables with Marilla (when Marilla’s eye sight begins failing her), instead of going on to college. Anne is willing to change her dreams for the future without any hesitance because she sees all of life as grand opportunities.

Some of my favorite parts of the book are Anne’s rambling conversations (I have that in common with Anne) with whoever would listen. Going back through the book I found this paragraph where Anne discusses the troubles of being a red head:

“Yes, it’s red,” she said resignedly. “Now you see why I can’t be perfectly happy. Nobody could who has read hair. I don’t mind the other things so much-the freckles and green eyes and my skinniness. I can imagine them away. I can imagine that I have a beautiful rose-leaf complexion and lovely starry violet eyes. But I CANNOT imagine that red hair away. I do my best. I think to myself, ‘Now my hair is a glorious black, black as the raven’s wing.’ But all the time I KNOW it is just plain red and it breaks my heart. It will be my lifelong sorrow. I read of a girl once in a novel who had a lifelong sorrow but is wasn’t red hair. Her hair was pure gold rippling back from her alabaster brow. What is an alabaster brow? I never found out. Can you tell me?”

As I read the different conversations of the things that run through Anne’s mind I found myself smiling and wishing I had been her “bosom friend” growing up. Luckily Anne’s hair turns a lovely auburn and her freckles seem to fade, but her imagination never does.

This is a great way to break you into the classics with an easy and enjoyable read. I have already begun “Anne of Avonlea” and I am finding that grown up Anne is just as imaginative and a charming as the younger version. All girls should be required…or at least encouraged, to read this wonderful book!

Thanks again Carrie.  What a wonderful review.  As a Canadian girl, I am ashamed to admit that I also have not read this book series!  I know, it is a tragic thing!  :)  I do however own them.  (scored them at my library book sale!)  They will be read and I am looking forward to it, especially now! 

If you are interested in writing a review for me, whatever you choose, please convo me (kgm3boysATgmailDOTcom)  I would love to have you.

Cheers

4 comments:

Gordy and Sue said...

I'm Carrie's mom and I can tell you that she was a very curious and creative children. She won the hearts of anyone who met her and continues to do so as a curious and creative adult. To know Carrie is to love Carrie.

Carrie's Mom

shauna said...

I adore Anne. I can't remember how old I was when I first read the series but it is one that I read over and over again. In fact, I think it is about time that I pulled out the books again...

Unknown said...

Ok, this is the second time in just a few days somebody has mentioned Anne of Green Gables as a must read ... I'm embarrassed to say I've never read them NOR have I seen the movies!

Must change that immediately!

GoldieGirl said...

I am totally Floored you haven't ever read anne of green gables!! They were a childhood fave, I shared in her self pity over being red haired for a very long time haha. We have this thing in my family that every girl when they are about 6-8 years old gets to stay up for our anne of green gables movie marathon, unfortunately weve been lovingly cursed with ALOT of boys so we haven't done it in a while, but it will be mayas turn soon and I am suuper excited!