Saturday, January 8, 2011

Faery Rebels - Spell Hunter


By R.J Anderson

Faeries have all lost their magic.  They have become selfish, greedy and sometimes even mean.  There is no love left.  They are no longer creative, they have lost all of the creativity and beauty that once made them so amazing.

One day a young faery encounters a small human child.  She is incredibly curious about him but one older faery explains how humans carry a disease called "The Silence" and shows her the destruction that it causes and that is enough to curb the young faery's curiosity for a while.

When Knife is older she encounters this same human again and finds that her curiosity is not so easy to cure this time.  She finds herself enjoying this young mans company more and more.  Together they try to find out where the faeries magic has gone and try to reconcile their friendship.

I really enjoyed this book.  There is a sweet little love story going on, there is action, there is a faery trying really hard to reconcile what she feels with what she is told, and there is a bit of intrigue going on.  All enough to keep you turning the pages.  I read it in a little over 2 hours, it was that good.  :)

I think that the younger children (Gr 4 ish) will really like the story and could grasp it, and the older reader will like the small love story going on.  So I would say the target audience would be about Gr. 4 to about Gr. 8.  (although I would read it again as an adult)

There are no inappropriate scenes in the book.  There are no language problems.  The faeries do "Thank the Gardener" often, or other such references and it could be said it is like the Lord, but I had no problem with them finding a higher power in the Gardener.  There is a kiss but it is treated in a very innocent manner.  At the end Knife finds herself under a blanket naked, (after some magic is performed) so there is a reference to nudity, but it is not in a sexual way. 

I would heartily recommend this book.  I think that many children, maybe even some boys, would like it.

Cheers

1 comment:

Connie said...

I think Halle would love this book. I just put it on haold at our library. Thanks!