Sunday, November 28, 2010
Trickster's Choice
By Tamora Pierce
Aly is 16. At a time when girls become women and go their own way, she wants to be a spy. Her mother and father disagree with her about her choice. When her choices are taken away because she is sold into slavery, she must make her own way as a woman and a slave.
Sarai and Dove are sisters who share a secret. Their mother was a noblewoman from a line thought to have died out long ago. There is a prophecy that will bring the end to a cruel dynasty. The raka believe it is Sarai that will fulfil that prophecy.
Nawat has a mmysterious past. He is Aly's one friend she can completely trust. His innocence hides a core of steel.
I totally enjoyed this book! I have been trying to read more girly books and this one really satisfied my craving. I loved the little innocent romance brewing between Aly and Nawat. Her jaded outlook becomes much softer as she experiences his version of courting. The whole story is fast paced, full of adventure and intrigue. I couldn't put this book down. The ending is a bit of a cliff hanger as you really do want to see what happens next, but it wraps up a bit of the story.
I think that this book would entertain all teenage girls. I think it is an easy enough read, but a bit long at almost 400 pages. (possibly Grade 7 and up) It is really entertaining. There is a series that this author wrote with overlapping characters (The song of the Lioness quartet) but it is not necessary to have read it to understand this series. (although it should be noted, I have not read them so I am not sure of the appropriateness of that series)
The book starts out somewhat hard to understand, but as you read you are introduced to enough of the history and people that it becomes much easier to read. There is no language, no sexual innuendo, or gore. It should be said that this is about a war, and there is a bit of spy intrigue, but it is dealt with in a tasteful way for younger audiences.
I would really recommend this to any young person, but would think that girls might enjoy it a bit more than boys. I have not read the rest of the series, but this book was fabulous.
I am not turning this into a book review blog, but I have been reading so many wonderful books lately, I just have to share! (our library had a book sale and I got a tonne of books...I will be reviewing the ones that are worth reading to the end)
Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment