Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Two Book Reviews...The Maze Runner and 100 Cupboards

Ok, maybe not so lucky...but I said I would share!

Here are two new books I am totally lovin.

***Please note, having changed my reading recommendations, I can no longer stand behind this review.  I find that this book is violent and has some really objectionable substitute language.  I have given away my copies.  Please read at your own discretion.***

Already this book has been well loved (my sister and I have both read it).  It is a great read.

The book is a bit confusing as you read it.  Not a whole bunch is explained.  You know that there is a boy, he wakes up in a lift.  He has absolutely no memory of who he is.  He gets lifted out of the elevator and finds himself in a new life.  A maze so be specific.  How does he get out?  Does he even want to get out?  Is his life horrible outside of the Maze?  Why can't he remember anything about his life outside?  As he learns to live with his new life, he begins to feel like he knows things, he wants to become a Runner...he knows he is meant to be one.  Things happen to place him in situations that create some pretty great adventures.

Now, I loved The Hunger Games series.  Although it was disturbing on so many levels, it made you think, it made you cry (and I did, often!) and it made you question.  This Maze Runner book will do that too, only with a little less disturbing happening and for a younger audience.  The main character is 16 or so and he is with many other boys from the ages of 12 to 18.  It is written in a way that appeals to me, but I will be introducing it to my 11yo next year for English as well.

I would say it is written for a mature Grade 7 or age 12. (or 33!)  :)

The next book is a series I just started.  (so far I have found out there are 3 of them)


A young boys parents get kidnapped and he is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in a place where not a whole lot happens.  One night, late at night, some plaster hitting him on the head wakes him up.  Where the plaster once was, there are now two dials.  He takes his knife out and digs around and finds a cupboard.  Curious to find out if there are more he eventually uncovers 99 cupboards in his room.  Each cupboard leads to another place and when he figures out how to use them...the adventure begins!

Henry is 12.  He is mixed up.  He has missed out on lots of things that "regular" boys do so he is eager to try lots of new things...but also quite scared.

I loved this book!  I am going to be using it in English this year for my G (he is 9).  There are some pretty funny sections and some pretty amazing places to visit.  Henry is just so mixed up that there are so many things to discuss.

I think that this book would be great for ages 9 and up (Grade 4 or so).  Or if you are a giant kid at heart (and I do mean giant...I am 6 feet) like me...it is appropriate for you too!  :)

Hope you like them if you read them. 
Cheers

No comments: